Thursday, October 29, 2009

It's Gotta Be The Shoes

Just by showing up at the track last nite I felt I was a winner b4 even taking one step of my 5x1,000m.
After a late nite on Tuesday at the David Gray show{he was awesome and yes he did perform "The Other Side" which felt like a fitting tribute to my late father and further kudos to his and my beloved Spurs w/ a 2.0 win over Everton to put us in the 1/4 finals of the Carling Cup}I then stayed up an extra hour to watch "Sons Of Anarchy" my new favourite show on tv so it was 12.30am b4 getting to bed and the alarm goes off at 4.51am....eek!!
Throw in the rain most of the day and I could've been forgiven for blowing off my scheduled repeats citing fatigue,damp conditions or needed an extra days rest on my achilles now that I'm back into my flats.....phish!it's like the old Bally's Health Club commercials when Cher was a spokesperson"there's a 101 excuses for not working out....but in the end that's all they are excuses"
It's never too soon to repeat the time honoured manta"the difference between working out and not working out on days like these is standing on the podium or standing next to it at Nationals" so here I was ready to throw down on my 5x1,000m,despite a morning of rain conditions were now almost ideal,still short sleeve and shorts weather but now that my workouts are ending at dusk and w/ the clocks about to go back they'll be beginning in the dark it's only a matter of time b4 my winter wardrobe of tights,gloves,jacket and ski hat gets broken out.

#1,1000m,1.16,1.20,38-3.14.32.I wanted to open in 76 seconds and that's just what I got,76/80 sets the ideal tone for 1,000s,it took me a while to grasp that concept but I've always said "like father,like son" I'm a headstrong paddy..........and feckin proud of it!!
#2,1,000m1.16,1.18,38-3.12.02.Not even having to weave in between moving goalposts on the approach to the 800m mark could throw me off,I'm very familiar w/ "moving the goalposts"expression....leave it to an Ivy League school to make it quite literal!!!
#3,1,000m,1.14.1.20,39-3.07.48.Holy crap! this was either gonna blow my repeats wide open or blow them altogether,the 74 second opening 400m caught me off guard but didn't derail me but the 3.07 was an eye opener,would I hold or fold over the final 2 repeats?
#4,1,000m,1.16,1.20,38-3.10.52.The days of crashing and burning on #4 seem to be a distant memory now,learning to go out at a comfortable pace on the opening repeats means I've got plenty in hand when I get to the business end of my 1,000s these days.
#5,1,000m,1.15,1.17,34-3.06.50.Blistering would best describe my final repeat,opening in 75 set me up nicely and not blowing up on the second 400m and clocking a 77 was the spark to light the fuse,I felt so strong and so full of running off the final turn it was no wonder I clocked a 34 second closing 200m and also racked up my fastest 1,000m in the process.
Combined I ran 15.49.again my fastest time to date.

So is it the shoes?two repeats in my flats two seasons bests,there's no smoke w/out fire,I had hoped by late October I'd be rounding into form and the past two weeks have lead me to believe that's the case.
If I can register a decent set of mile repeats Friday in my flats then I'll know I'm on course slowly, but surely indoor meets are being announced and I'm starting to flesh out my 09/10 indoor season....and to think I almost didn't hit the track for this workout...

No comments: