Thursday, February 23, 2012

See You Jimmy!

At the risk of going all TMI I was denied the chance to run today due to more insanity at the house,I seldom ask for anything but for those of you who believe in good karma could you please think positive thoughts for me tomorrow afternoon when I have an appointment to view a new apartment,to quote a great Pat Benatar song"I Want Out".



Lost in the shuffle recently was the completion of "If I Was" the Midge Ure autobiography,I've been an Ultravox fan since Midge joined them in 1980 on the "Vienna" album, although I was quite partial to the original Ultravox line up w/ John Foxx on vocals......it's a bit like a modern rock version of Genesis w/ Peter Gabriel leaving and Phil Collins taking over on vocals.




I'd rank "If I Was" right up there w/ Gary Kemp's autobiography "I Know This Much" as the best music autobiographies I've read,chock full of interesting things I never knew,for instance he toured w/ Thin Lizzy in 79/80 as a replacement for Gary Moore on one of Gary's "numerous" sackings from the band!!!



Midge was a major driving force behind the first two Visage albums "Visage" and "The Anvil"....maybe there's some major Midge Ure bias here but the fact he wasn't on the final Visage album "Beat Box" and it's pretty naff compared to the other two may have something to do w/ that......just putting it out there!!!



I guess I always took it for granted that Midge was his actual name.....it wasn't he was actually known as Jim but upon joining his first band Salvation......later to be renamed Slik there was already a band member called Jim who felt two Jim's in the same band was one too many so Jim Ure became Mij as it's Jim spelt backwards.....this morphed into Midge as we know and love him today!!!



Rumours abound the Ure,Cross,Cann,Currie classic Ultravox line up are presently in the studio working on their first album since the 86 "UVOX" album w/ views to a tour later this year......count me in on both fronts when that happens.




No comments: