Thursday, January 11, 2024

Don't Call It A Comeback..........


 I realize it's been more than a " hot minute" since my last blog entry in March of 2020 but while ye auld blog may've been inactive fear not " The Shamrock Warrior/Gypsy Rebel" has been far from idle the past four years, logging miles, running races, winning/collecting medals........

So why the sudden return of the blog? long story short{ I realize an Irishman trying to make a long story short is far fetched but bare w/ me!!!} I turned 60 last November.....{yes if I'd had a cake the candles would have been a fire risk.....!!!!} and having ran marathons in my 20s,30s,40s and 50s I wanted to keep the streak going into my 60s, I've learned the hard way that getting older means injuries tend to come more frequently so I thought it best to " strike while the proverbial iron was hot" and tackle a Marathon early on in my 60s incase my body can't stand upto it

Dublin Marathon had been on my radar for a while so in August I began returning to triple digit mileage per month, when I ran the Philadelphia Distance Run half marathon in September off very little in the way of  double digit runs due to the humidity I knew a marathon was doable w/ the right amount of training, following last years Dublin Marathon I waited patiently for the 2024 lottery to open, the old adage " ye can't win the lottery unless you buy a ticket" and on November 24th I was informed by email I'd been successful w/ my application.....now for the hard work

My final race of the 23 season fell on Sunday December 3rd, since then I've been logging 36 mile training weeks w/ 4 x 6 miles during  my lunch hour during the week and a 12 mile long run on Saturday, the premise being come January the 12 mile Saturday long run would be 14 miles, 16 in Feb,18 in March by which time the clocks will go forward and I can resume longer evening runs to give me the potential come April to log 60 mile a week training so that's where I'm at at the end of each week I'll try and recap the previous weeks training via the blog

As of last Sunday I'm 11 weeks out from the season debut race the Love Run Half Marathon{ sadly had to sit out the last 2 due to hip and knee issues in 22 and 23}and 42 weeks out from Dublin......and so it begins...........

No comments: