Thursday, May 1, 2008

Rain?What Rain??

A good friend of mine Roberta once said of growing up in Northern Ireland"if I only trained on the days it didn,t rain I,d have never gotten out to train"and I can identify w/ that,if I had a dollar for everytime a non runner said to me"you,re not going to run in the rain are you?"my airfare to Spokane for Nationals would be paid for already!!!Yes I run in the rain,granted I didn,t Monday but that,s because it was lashing down,today I got caught in a shower that frankly didn,t phase me,"a soft day" as it would,ve been refered to back home,and besides I was already on the track....literally doing my stretches laying down on the track when it started to rain....in for a penny in for a pound....punt...euro....dollar...yen....
Following my stretches I knocked out my mile warm up and mile of strides keeping my warm ups on,switching to my long sleeved shirt and shorts b4 the first of my two 1,000m,I opted to nix my glasses since trying to peer through the rain on them at my stop watch seemed counter productive,I also went sans bandana,one thing less to get wet,target time for repeat#1 was 3 minutes,1.10,1.10,40 for 400m,800m,1000m,I went 68,1.15,33 for 2.56.32,three weeks ago I went 2.57.82,and three weeks ago it wasn,t raining!!!!
During my 12 minute recovery it stopped raining which meant I could walk back and forth on the track rather than seek shelter under the stands,and then the gremlins set in...again,as I lined up to begin my second 1000m my watch went ga ga again,having used up my alloted recovery time I didn,t want to waste any more time and launched into the repeat hoping my watch might record the split....
No split at 400m but coming through 800m I glanced at my watch to see 12.02,obviously the watch had reverted to 12.00 when I hit the start button so as long as I had a clear view of it at the finish I,d at least have a finish time.............2.51,yeah baby!!!
Conducted my mile cool down and called it a nite,tomorrow,s an easy day,3 miles b4 Saturdays 800m.

No comments: