Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Who Doesn't Like A Little Whine?

True to my word I hit the brakes on my 10 miler this evening,a sedate 71 min time,I'm often guilty of pushing too hard on my easy days but a combination of the humidity and rain plus the knowledge that tomorrow is a scheduled faster day somewhere in the region 64-66 mins kept me honest this evening.
I also learnt the need to invest in two more dri fit sleeveless running shirts, the heat and humidity of the last two days and my workouts brought home the need for dri fit sleeveless shirts as I could've wrung out my blue Spurs sleeveless shirt b4 I reached the turn around this evening,in this runners humble opinion you can never have enough dri fit running clothes!

I did a little research on my early season mile repeats last season after last nites less than stellar opener and discovered I'm not that far off where I was a year ago.
Last nites 5.31.7.-5.29.6.-5.44.4-5.34.9. stacks up close to where I kicked off last year according to my blog 5.39.0-5.33.2.-5.42.8.-5.21.7. and at the risk of looking for excuses it was 84 degrees at 5pm last nite when I began,granted it's going to be hot in Sacramento in 10 weeks time but global warming or not who can legislate for that kind of heat in April??
On May 7th last year on my second set of mile repeats for the year I went:5.33.2-5.16.7-5.15.4. b4 being informed Franklin Field was closing at 6pm that nite......information that could've been brought to my attention sooner in my opinion,I'd have cut back on my warm up and stretches to facilitate that and gotten all four mile repeats in.....it proved to be a watershed moment,I never went back to Franklin Field to do repeats after that favouring the more user friendly track at Temple where a week later I went:5.06.8.-5.04.6.-5.03.7.-5.02.5. and thus began a summer of brisk mile repeats leading up to Nationals.

My upcoming race schedule will throw a slight kink into my current rotation system w/ repeats,Saturday will be my bread and butter repeat 8x1,000m....but the last w/ 3 min recovery,beginning on my next set of 8x1,000m repeats I'm cutting down to 2.5 mins recovery,as I've said b4"your repeats are only as good as the recoveries you allow yourself" we could all be world beaters w/ extended recoveries,let's hope w/ less recovery and the same intensity of repeat that I can at least be a medalist at Worlds if not a world beater.

No comments: