Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Play The Game{s}

If It's Sunday it's the long run.....at least for this week as next Sunday see me taking on a beast of another type the Track Pentathlon but more about that next week.
Out the door by 10.30am my prefered time for tackling the Sunday long run,knowing I'll be out there for just over  two hours I prefer to start around 10.30am and be all done by 12.30pm if possible.

It struck me early on into the run along the  Schuylkill Bank b4 I even reached the Art Museum Loop that there were more runners out than usual but it should come as no major surprize given the time of year.
The Virginia Beach Rock & Roll Half Marathon is only four weks off,followed hard on it's heals by the Philadelphia Rock & Roll Half Marathon some three weeks later by which time it'll practically be October which is Fall Marathon season so I won't be surprized to see more runners out there w/ me on the Sunday long runs over the coming weeks and months.

Of course that said about more runners than usual out there didn't apply to running in the same direction as moi as I only passed two runners heading north along West River Drive and then another two going south along Kelly Drive after crossing Falls Bridge at the half way mark however I was able to shave four minutes off of last weeks 2.08 time w/ a 2.04,considering I shoot for 2.06s{14 miles at 9 min mile pace=2.06} I was content w// both last weeks time and this weeks,it' all about putting the miles in not how fast I do them.

Post run I got to do something I haven't been able to do in the previous twenty eight years........watch Commonwealth Games highlites!!!!!!
Having come to America in 87 following the 86 Edinburgh Games I figured I was SOL for catching any Commonwealth Games highlites from here on in.......unless  I went to Canada every four years to catch them on tv,which while NOT a bad idea seems like an extreme way to  see them,not to mention a chronic waste of trips to the "Great White North" if all I was going to do was watch tv!!!!
Anyway imagine my delight if not gobsmacked surprize on Friday nite while I channel surfed to discover that CBSSN had two one hour highlites shows per day one from the afternoon events and one from the evening events.
Glass half empty I discovered this on day nine of  the games,a little heads up earlier might've meant watching the whole shebang,glass half full I could now enjoy the final three days of the action.
Obviously just like the Olympics the Track & Field program was my main focus but like the Olympics i found myself enjoying other sports some of which get next to no coverage:Badmington,Squash,Bowls,Table Tennis,Field Hockey,the list goes on.......
I still have the closing ceremony to watch,aside from the pomp and pagentry that goes w/ them I read Kylie Minogue performed..........................hold all my phone calls.................

No comments: