Tuesday, October 22, 2019

{Keeping Off} The Green,Green Grass Of Home

Sadly not a 5 day/55mpw to report.....however I did resume Track Intervals along w/ a tempo run and 18 mile long run so it wasn't all bad............

Monday 12 Miles
Nice easy out and back along W. River Dr via Powelton Ave to get any residual gunk out of my legs from Sundays race and kick the week off
Nothing else really to report other than signing up for the Market St Run For Blue 5 Miler on Sunday October 27th
It's a new race on the calendar and while probably not yielding a medal or an age group award{Top 2 runners in  a 50-59 category} it's a rare chance at some thing a little shorter and hopefully faster to get my fast twitch muscles ready for the on the horizon Indoor Track Season.......

Thursday 8 Mile Tempo Run
Wednesdays proposed 11 Miler got washed away in the rain, a soft misty rain I could've handled but a rain so hard it knocked the Satellite dish out rain.....nah,glass half empty I lost any shot at a 5 day/55 mile week,glass half full maybe the Universe was telling me to ease up a tad, as it was following Mondays run I had logged 484 miles on my current running shoes and I noticed a little soreness in my shines.......Wednesday my new Turner running shoes arrived so Thursdays tempo run was a chance to break them in
Dry conditions but overcast and windy out around the AML{Art Museum Loop} the opening 1/4 mile I was sheltered by the boathouses along Boathouse Row but after they stop I was a prime target for the wind coming off of the Schuylkill
54.04.8 off 6.45 mile pace
Splits:6.52-6.55-6.39-7.00-6.47-6.41-6.45-6.24
Bummed doesn't begin to describe how I feel about that 7.00 split on mile 4,I was guilty of "going to sleep" mentally in that mile ergo the failure to maintain my recent run of sub 7s but as I heard Ato Boldon say during the recent IAAF World C'ships "a defeat is only a defeat if you don't learn from it"

Saturday Repeats
A welcome return to the track and the friendly confines of Haverford collage which has become my default track to workout on
Up by 6.30am,out the door by 7am and over to 30th St train station to catch the 7.26am R5 train I was on the track doing my mile warm up by 8am
A little brisk at that hour,how brisk you ask? frost on the soccer pitch on the infield of the track
Mile5.56.8
Splits:1.26-1.32-1.31-1.27
An ok start, as is often the case my 800-1,200 splits dip a little lower than I'd prefer but I have time to correct that in the coming weeks/months

1,200m 4.19.6
Splits 1.24-1.27-1.28
Having not conducted intervals since May 11th I was basically "putting down a marker" for when I return again on Nov 2nd

1,000m 3.30.5
1.24-1.25-41
Fairly consistent over the 800m,like to see the closing 200m a tad quicker.....

800m 2.50.8
1.24-1.26
1.24-1.24 would've been better.........

600m 2.01.0
1.23-38
Trending in the right direction off another solid opening 400m

4x400m
1.17.9
1.17.1
1.18.8
1.14.6
Not pleased that #3 went up a second not down a second but not unhappy I shaved 4 seconds off on the final 400

All in all a solid start,let's see what Nov 2nd  brings upon my return

Sunday 18 Miler
If it's every second Sunday it's the hills of Fairmount Park and East Falls
As we'd say back home "it was a soft day" a lite misty rain throughout the run which only picked up w/ 4 miles to go at which point I was all but home and dusted
Need to look at a map and see if I can incorporate more of the hills over in East Falls and somehow double back to Strawberry Mansion bridge and head home via Belmont, the final 6 miles along Kelly Dr are pancake flat and to be honest a little boring after numerous hills on either side of the Schuylkill River
Of course leave it to me to "spice things up" a little towards the end of the run......
Heading South along the Schuylkill Banks approaching South St bridge w/ just a few ticks of 2 miles to go I was passed by another runner......it would have been easier to let him go and not get into a "pissing contest" at mile 16 of an 18 miler.......easier but not as much fun......
He kept glancing over his left shoulder to see if I was  going to "give chase" and it seemed rude not to oblige but each time I closed the gap he upped his pace.....I wasn't going away
At the end of the Schuylkill Bank path b4 Christian St where you turn to head back  North along the Banks trailpath I "dropped the hammer" like it was the bell lap of a track race,I kept waiting to hear either footsteps or breathing but heard neither.....yeah you don't want any parts of the Shamrock Warrior trust me,long feckin run or not.......
Heading up the spiral stairs to the South St bridge I looked over to the trailpath and saw him running back along the banks,he gave me the "thumbs up" sign and I reciprocated by waving......Game recognizes Game.....

No comments: