Tuesday, October 1, 2019

More Doha Than Doh!!!!

As is my won't I'm taking off from work next week to watch the 2019 World Athletics's Championships from Doha......how big of a track geek am I? I have the medalists from all of the Olympics,Worlds,Europeans and Commonwealth Games since Sydney 2000 written down in a notebook,I have the 2019 Worlds schedule printed out w/ the days finals highlighted in Yellow and the times of the tv coverage w/ the dvr set to record..... yeah  I'm that big of a Track Geek!!!!


Before all that there was the oh so small matter of getting my running in the books all well and good watching the Worlds finest strut their stuff if I don't handle my business.......

Monday 12 Miles
As is my won't a Monday run,to quote another fiery Corkman Roy Keane" Failure to prepare,prepare for failure".....
There wasn't a lot of  wiggle room this week so despite coming off of Sundays 18 miler and having a tough workload on the job I was out the door by 5.15pm post change into running gear and getting my stretches in
Tuesday was questionable due to a 3pm Spurs game which means not getting home till gone 6pm and Thursday was"up in the air" due to work so if I didn't get out tonite and set the ball rolling I was screwed......and not in a Christian Grey "50 Shades Of Gray" manner
Happy to report not only  got the miles in but no threats of headbutting or punching cyclists out I did however have some fun at their expense, making my way south along the Schuylkill Banks a trio of cyclists went by me as I overtook two runners"never understood the whole small wheels thing?"  said one runner to his running partner...."small dicks" I said making the universal "hung like a lightswitch" gesture which drew laughter..........

Wednesday15 Miles
Taking full advantage of my last official Wednesday off work not including requested days off I opted to "go long"
A glorious afternoon to be out running,Monday had marked the official end of Summer and Fall but conditions were still sunny and warm,w/ October less than a week away the days of sleeveless running shirts may be limited but I for one look to ride that train as long as I can
Often w/ the15 miler I fall "between two stools" do I go 7.5 miles out and back along Kelly Dr or do the whole loop and come home via Powelton Ave?  today I opted for the loop,I feel I've neglected W.River Dr of late as the  8 mile tempo run has gotten overlooked{sidebar it's making an aggressive comeback next week fingers crossed!!!}
27miles under my belt, the question now was how were the remaining 28 getting handled?

Thursday 10 Miles
So in order to take next week off to enjoy Worlds I had to do extra work this week,seems a tad unfair if you ask me but w/ 20 years under my belt on the job it comes as no surprise
I went into work bracing myself for a "right royal fuckin' " skids wise,IF I couldn't get out at a reasonable enough time to run then I was faced w/ an 18 miler Saturday and a 10 miler Sunday to get my 55mpw in.......
As luck would have it Thursday was only a slight fuckin' w/ 18 skids{Friday was the right royal fuckin' w/ 30!!!!!!} but what that meant was not only could I get out and run tonite,I could also go 10/8 over the weekend.........in the immortal words of Hannibal in "The A Team" I love it when a plan comes together".......

Saturday 10 Miles
After the"day from hell"on Friday I could've been forgiven if I didn't relish getting up at 6am period muchless going out and running 10 miles but just like the athletes currently in Doha competing at Worlds I know the sacrifices I have to make to fulfill my hopes,dreams and aspirations so it was "rise and shine at 6am,a cup of Rosey and some of Fridays opening day at Worlds off the dvr b4 leaving at 6.50am for my 10 miles
I wasn't surprised at the number of fellow runners out on Kelly Dr at that hour,if anything I was heartened to know I'm not the only one driven enough to get out and "do the do" between 6.50am-8.20am
Not only the whole day ahead of me now w/ the run secured and under my belt but also  the comfort of knowing tomorrow only had to be 8 miles......method/madness.......

Sunday 8 Miles
Having already taken a leisurely 4 mile walk around Fairmount Park w/"Mrs Shamrock Warrior" at lunchtime I now tackled my easy 8 miler around 4pm to round out my 4th 55mpw in the last 5 weeks and put myself at 210 miles for the month w/ the first of three 8 mile tempo runs for the week  on tap Monday for 218

I'm looking forward to a week off work period but also maximizing the coverage of Worlds on NBCSN and the Olympic Channel plus making up for the short shift the 8 mile tempo run has gotten of late by hopefully getting three in Monday,Wednesday and Friday b4 a 13 miler on Saturday and then another 18 mile long run in Sunday

No comments: