Thursday, June 23, 2011

Yellow And Green W/ Envy

Systematically over the last few years a number of my "running to do" wishes have been checked,as a marathon runner I ran the big marathons I set out to run:London,New York,Boston,Chicago and Athens,I also got under the 2.50 barrier after times of 2.54,2.55,2.56 thanks to a 2.48.49. in Chicago in 02
Switching to track in 06 I then began to set about achieving the following:run at Penn Relays,run at the Millrose Games,medal at the Millrose Games,be a National Champion,win 5th Avenue Mile,set a world record leaving only two things unchecked,become World Champion and run at Haywards Fields.

Sadly the issue of low ferritin levels in my blood this year knackered any outside chances I had at Sacramento,I doubt very much I'll be in Finland for World indoors next winter or Brazil in 2013 for the next outdoor Worlds so we'll have to see on July 14th where the 2014 Indoor and 2015 Outdoor Worlds get awarded too.
I do still harbor ambitions of running at Haywards Field,sadly it won't be this Sunday in the Masters 1,500m race during the USATF Nationals/World Championship trials,it was always going to be a big financial ask to swing Eugene,Sacramento and Berea in 6 weeks,that said in a pinch I'm sure I could've but that said my recent 4.54 mile only equates to a 4.36 1,500m and frankly I don't want to embarrass myself at the mecca of American track.

Fingers crossed there is always next year,there hasn't been a Masters exhibition men's 3,000m since 08 at the Olympic trials so hopefully next summer my current 3,000m pr of 9.07.1. will be good enough to get me in if the powers that be go w/ a 3,000m,that as they say is for another day and I wish my fellow masters 1,500m men and 3,000m women all the best this Sunday in their respective races.

Easy 4 mile this evening,I've learnt to embrace my easy days and save myself for the harder days,tomorrow is a rest day b4 a return to the track on Saturday for mile repeats.

2 comments:

Kevin C. Tofel said...

*sigh* Someday, I'll run on that track... if it's the last thing I do in this lifetime. :)

kevin f forde said...

Kevin,
there is a Masters meet at Haywards Fields every year,usually late May,if the Masters 3,000m doesn't pan out next year that'll be my ticket to following in Pre's illustrious footsteps