Friday, October 18, 2013

Boys From Brazil....The Sequal

Following on from Wednesdays entry re the 2014 World Cup quallifiers I find myself drawn back to the land of the Samba w/ the World Masters Athletics Outdoor World Championships in Porto Alegre which began on Wednesday.
Irrigardless of my year long sabatical these Worlds were never on my agenda,at 49 i'm likely to get my butt well and truly kicked in the 800m and 1,500m and frankly Porto Alegre is too long of a distance to travel to experience that so I took a pass given I,m three weeks removed from turning 50,had they been held Nov 16-27th I might of considered getting my passport stamped.

I will be following the exploits of those intrepid souls who made the trip including my friends Anselm Lebourne,Kevin Paulk and Conor O Driscoll who will represent the stars and stripes over 800m and 1,500m in the M50-54 division as come next March at the World Masters Athletics Indoor World Championships in Budapest they will be not only team mates but potential medal threats if I opt to go to Hungary in search of a World title..........

The faraway confinds of Porto Alegre and Budapest seemed thousands of miles away no pun intended as I made my way out and back along the familur path of the Schuylkill Banks and Kelly Dr last nite for my 8 miler,not sure what the climate in Budapest is or for that matter what the temps in Porto Alegre are but at 72 degrees and not the 32 degrees that Peco Towers displayed it was warm enough to be dripping in sweat by the end of my run!!!!!

Another "no frills" run w/ the always taxing 8x300x200x300m repeats on tap Saturday it was clutch to save my legs for then,this is a pivitol week for my training,week 12 since returning to full blown training and 12 weeks till my potential Indoor season opener on Jan 9th,there's no turning back now and the only direction is onwards and upwards it's gonna take a hell of alot more than a weekly intake of Goulash to prep me for Budapest and Indoor Worlds in five months time......

No comments: