Monday, October 7, 2013

Sweatin' The Small Stuff


At months end {Oct 29th} I'll have lived in America for 26 years and while there is a "laundry list" of things I miss about living in London,the climate is NOT one of them!!!
Granted here in Philly on the eastern seaboard we cop both extremes,heat and humidity in the summer and "Jack Frost nippin' at your bollocks" freezing cold in the winter but somewhere inbetween is a happy medium like yesterday 85 degrees on October 6th.....I know it's  bat shit fuckin' crazy but it is what it is!!!

I got a slightly later start than normal for my Sunday 10 miler 11.20am no biggie and despite the overcast skies I opted for the "Three S's" shades,shorts and sleeveless,at this time of year each run could be the last one b4 having to switch to regular glasses, and short sleeves,b4 runs end my choice of attire proved to be spot on!!!

As I crossed South St Bridge I couldn't have helped but to be confused to my right{South} overcast and grey skies, straight ahead {East} clear and sunny skies to my left {North} grey and overcast and the direction I'd be running along the river and I'm sure if I'd looked over my shoulder back to where I's set out from {West} it would've been grey and ovecast also.....
Making my way along the Schuylkill Bank and Kelly Dr there was a decent number of fellow runners.....but no Geese today which suited me as I didn't feel like stopping for them to cross in front of me!!!

As I did last week I counted the runners who were heading back South along Kelly Dr from the 4 and 3/4 mile mark,I counted 10 and caught 9 in fairness I was never going to catch the first one who had a good 1/2 mile on me since our paths crossed right at the 4 and 3/4 mile marker but that 2 and a 1/2 section of the run probably went along way to making todays 10 miler the 1.36 that it was,I usually clock 1.40 for a 10 miler.

I was dripping sweat long b4 I reached the South St bridge,I could feel the sweat dripping off my bandana and while waiting for the red lite to change at the  the corner of South St bridge and the on/off ramp for I 76 I rang sweat out of my so called dri fit shirt,a month from now I'll remember this when the  clock go back...
My running clothes were dispatched to a pile on my living room floor  not long after getting into my appartment as I downed not one but two pints of Strawberry Milk....yeah I'd worked up that much of a thirst and sweat and some 90 minutes later when I felt compelled to get up off the recliner my pile of running clothes felt like a lead weight as they were dispatched into the laundry bag,I may not work up a sweat again this till next summer,something to think about during the long winter months.

Another 5 day/40mpw the first time in ten weeks I've logged back to back 5 day.40 mile weeks at least that side of things is going to plan,w. the threat of rain and showers the next couple of days and the end of this dry and hot spell I sence a change in the weather,Fall may actually feel like Fall......

No comments: