Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Blown Away Parts I&II

For the second day in a row mother nature had her way w/ me and while at least today I was able to get a workout in it wasn,t exactly what I had in mind,that said I,ll take a bad workout over no workout.
The initial plan was to do 4x1 mile,however after the battering I took w/ the wind after mile#1 I could not w/ all honesty see me trying to run another three,aside from the wind cutting right through me it was near impossible to buck the wind,granted there,s very little of me to begin w/ but what little there is was getting stood up on the home straight,never mind that mime shit walking against the wind I was trying to run against it and it was near impossible.
My mile splits were 1.19,2.48,4.15,5.42.25,laps of 1.19,1.29,1.37,1.27,that ought to tell you everything about the conditions and rather than continue what was clearly a futile exercise I opted to switch up to a pyramid of 200m/300/400m/600m/400m/300m/200m.
I managed a 29.11 for my opening 200m b4 a 48.81 for my 300m,given this was an impromptu workout not to mention into the teeth of a nasty wind I had no real idea what to expect split wise,it was more an issue of compleating a workout.1.11.99 for my 400m seemed reasonable 70 secs would,ve been my target time so to only be a second off seemed ok,however considering I shoot for 1.50 for my 600s on a routine basis and I could only muster a 2.04.20,the wind and fatigue were begining to take their toll.
To prove a point my second 400m was only 1.18.59,at this point in time I was only concerned w/ compleating the bloody workout now,a war of attrition if you like,bloodied but I refused to yeild....I know I,m a head strong s.o.b. aren,t I{no doubt those who know me are nodding in agreement!!}48.61 for my second 300m,remarkably 2 100th's of a second faster than my opening 300m b4 calling it a nite w/ a 29.52 200m.
To give you an idea how cold it was out there tonite not only did I curtail my mile warm down by a lap but I nixed my stretches tonite as I didn,t want to lie on the track,I may have to revert to doing them at home b4 heading down to Franklin Field.
However it wasn,t all doom and gloom,not long after a steaming hot mug of hot chocolate and a warm shower I got a phone call from Chuck to inform me that the High Performance Committee of the Mid Atlantic branch of the USATF had voted me Masters Track Athlete of the year,believe me when I say it,s quite an honour period and a nice way to round off the season of a lifetime,ever wondered why I was out in the freezing cold and harsh wind this evening?..now you know why!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Hey Kevin. I hope the visit with Ira was productive and that you received good news. I'm sure that you'll have the good sense to take care of your foot adequately and won't rush into running too soon like SOME people who reside at 4648 Hazel Ave. Feel better!