Sunday, September 24, 2017

Short Week,Long Run

Had to settle for a 2 day/27mpw this week as my cross country trek to San Diego and Los Angeles cut into my training,glass half empty I came up short on both mileage and days trained,glass half full weekly long run now upto 17 miles and got a change of scenery to do it!

Monday:10 miles
Hoping to get a 6day/75mpw in required another rare Monday run.....that's what three in a row now?
Settled for an easy/recovery 10 miler to get any lingering crap out of my legs from Sundays half marathon.
While my success at the Rock & Roll 1/2 marathon was/is still pleasing I know I can't "dine out on it" moving forward,had I signed up for the half marathon in Philly in 9 weeks time I could retain the same level of training/mileage that earned me my 1.30.15 to finish 165th out of 8844 and be content......but I signed up for the marathon because having ran 26.2ers in my 20s,30s and 40s I'll kick myself in my 60s if I skipped the 50s so marathon it is,6 more weeks of high mileage and three week taper.

Friday:17 miles
Tuesday & Wednesday got away from me w/ my West Coast trip,it sucks as I wanted to run on tired legs after the half marathon because let's face it over 26.2 miles on Sunday November 19th that's a dynamic I need to be used to however in training as in life shit gets in the way sometimes.
I arrived in San Diego Thursday lunchtime and again would've loved to run but up at "silly o clock" to be at the airport for a 7am flight over 2,367 miles tends not to lend its self to that and so I settled for Google Mapping a 17 run on Friday,at least in a short week increase the long run yeah?
Basically I followed Friars Road for 7 miles till I hit Sea World Drive,hung a right and followed it for another  mile and a half,59.15 at 8.5 miles,turned around and came back the way I came.
It was reassuring to see other runners out there between 9 and 11am,there is always that neurotic feeling you're the only one crazy enough to be out running
Arms got a little heavy w/ 3.5 miles to go but hung tough again w/ 2 miles to go I visualized my regular route and thought about how I get through the final 2 miles there,back to where I  started in 2.06.07 off of 7.25 mile pace.
Considered myself pleased w/ the outcome,a new route was a nice change from the "same old same old" however not always being 100% sure of where I was going lent it's self to some moments of brief second guessing,always felt if I stuck to Friars Rd I couldn't go too wrong,or too far or just plan old lost

Saturday & Sunday alas got away from me,late nite Friday for the U2 show and less than three hours sleep to be up for a Spurs game at San Diego Spurs home bar The Harp at 4am didn't help w/ a run Saturday and after a train ride upto Los Angeles to see my sister Kim I was a little tired to be honest but truth be told could've ran Sunday morning however the reason to add Los Angeles to my west coast trip was to bond w/ a sister I hadn't seen in 14 years and truthfully have never spent any quality time w/ in our 50 plus lives,there will be ample runs upon my return to Philly getting to know my sister and vice versa feels a higher priority right now,running is great but God and Family are greater....

No comments: