Tuesday, November 5, 2019

The{Shamrock} Warriors Code

Another week,another 5 day/55mpw in the books but to quote Bob Dylan"the times they are a changing"
A week of rifling through my running gear to make sure I was always dressed correctly for the threat of Rain,actual Rain, a dip in the temps oh yeah and the clocks going back .......all in a weeks training for yer not so typical Shamrock Warrior

Monday 12 Miles
As is my won't a 12 miler on Monday to get the ball rolling for the week ahead
I was still drying out from Sundays race when I got drenched and there was an omnipresent threat of rain when I hit the road at 3.50pm so the trusty running cap,half zip and 3/4 length bottoms for the Powelton Ave/W.River Dr out and back to Strawberry Mansion bridge
No ill effects from Sunday,out and back in daylight.....the last time I'll say that on a Monday for the coming months

Tuesday 11 Miles
Keen as I was for a day off the fine folks at the Met {office not museum!} claimed Thursday was going to be a deluge so I figured best to get out ahead of it today even though there was a spattering of rain during my  out and back along the Schuylkill Banks and Kelly Dr
W/ my recent conversion to W. River Dr for some of my runs it feels a bit like seeing an old girlfriend now when I make my way to Kelly Dr,familiar but w/ a hint of disdain,sure it gets the job done but a longing for things to be less complicated and less aggravating

Wednesday 8 Mile Tempo Run
Again my hand felt forced by the threat of Rain for Thursday so I bumped up my tempo run by a day and maybe paid the price of running on tired legs
58.42.8 off 7.20 mile pace
Splits:6.54-7.23-7.19-7.34-7.34-7.19-7.27-7.11
I knew when I opened in 6.54 I was probably going to struggle to keep the splits at sub 7 and wasn't wrong
Going over Falls Bridge at  almost half way I realized I was running flat footed and not up on my toes a basic error which probably didn't help and while I corrected that down W. River Dr it was too little too late
After a handful of decent times/splits in recent Tempo Runs Sods Law dictated I was due a sub par performance,it was today
Further "insult to injury" due to an oversight on my part in the opening week of October I came up  6 miles short of my 200 mile target for the month,however heading into November my yearly mileage stands at 1,718,breaking the 2,000 mark looks on b4 Dec 31st

Saturday Intervals
If I was looking for a response to Wednesdays below par Tempo Run I got it on the Haverford track this morning
A fortnite ago I went:
5.56.8
4.19.6
3.30.5
2.50.8
2.01.0
1.17.9
1.17.1
1.18.8
1.14.6

Mile 5.50.5
Splits 1.24-1.30-1.30-1.26
Solid opening to proceedings,again those middle laps dip a bit too much to my liking but I aim to work on that

1,200m 4.17.6
Splits 1.23-1.28-1.26
2 seconds up on 2 weeks ago,solid opening and closing laps

1,000m 3.25.6
Splits 1.20-1.26-39
Where the fuck did that 1.20 opening lap come from?......and could I have more of those please!

800m 2.43.5
Splits 1.21-1.22
Again solid consistent laps and a 7 second improvement on two weeks ago

600m 1.58.8
Splits 1.20-38
Another 1.20 opening lap and back at sub 2 for my 600s

400m
1.13.9
1.14.7
1.15.9
1.15.8
Brisk opening 1/4 that may've diminished the closing 3,I hate to start fast then slow  down but compare these 1/4s to the 4 I closed w/ last time......

Overall a 32 second improvement from last time out,I doubt I'll see such a dramatic drop in times moving forward but as the kids say "it's trending in the right direction"....

Sunday 18 Miles
Ah the Sunday long run to see out the week,another "up w/ the dawn patrol fraternity" morning,Saturday was 6.30am today 6......you do what you have to do
W/ the advent of the clocks going back at least when I hit the road at 6.35am it was daylight and after two weeks of conducting my Sunday long runs in grey overcast skies today was bright sunshine.....albeit not terribly warm and I rued the fact I ran sans gloves for the opening hour as my hands were cold
Could I have worn my shades? maybe it was bright enough......I'd have felt a pratt running at 6.35am in sunglasses......then again at that hour who was going to see me???
Coming off Fountain Green Dr to Kelly Dr I passed another runner getting his Sunday run in,at mile 12 of an 18 miler I wasn't looking for a 'pissing contest" but when he blew by me  b4 the start of Boathouse Row I said feck it and w/in a mile caught and passed him......you can train a Tiger......but you won't suppress it's natural instinct to hunt its prey.........

You'd have thought that was enough running for one day/week but oh no in the afternoon I watched the New York City Marathon on tv,next year is it's 50th anniversary,these bi weekly 18 milers are keeping me in Marathon shape.....if the chance to run a 3rd NYC Marathon comes my way I'd be hard pressed to turn it down.....

No comments: