Wednesday, January 29, 2020

He's A Rebel And A Runner

Bugger! a sub par week,a tick over the 800m time I was looking for, a sub par interval session and "Mother Nature" fecked me over for 4th consecutive 50mpw.......otherwise a good week!!!

Monday 12 Miles
Jaysus it was Baltic out there this afternoon!
Given it was a race week I opted to get my longest run out of the way first knowing it was Brass Monkeys out there
Threw my sleeveless hoodie on under my running jacket to keep the wind off my face,dug out the running tights,went w/ heavy duty gloves and would rue not doubling up on socks as by mile 4.5 I could feel the tips of my toes getting numb
There was however a satisfaction in knowing tomorrow was now only 10 miles......and it'd be feckin warmer!!!

Tuesday 10 Miles
So remember back in late September/early October I had a week of encountering all kinds of creatures on my runs that week......add a Possum to the list now....
Just beyond the South St bridge where they extended the Schuylkill Banks upto Christian St there's a footbridge where I encountered the Rat back then.....tonite my foe was bigger and uglier{ God must have been in a pissy mood when he created the Possum....just saying!}
Thankfully for both of us a wire fence separated us,I didn't need this ugly bollix going after my ankles and he didn't need a size 10.5 running shoe going up his hole!
It's almost 10 years since the infamous "Possum Gate" war of words between Joel Dubow and yours truly in case anyone has forgotten him likening me to a Possum........

Thursday 800m
Thursday Nite @ The Races #3
12th  Seed in heat 4 w/ my 2.20 seed time the field was comprised of 2.14-2.20 runners although only 9 of us toed the starting line
Off the top turn I moved into 8th place as I opened in 35.98 I was hoping for 34s...
35.46 for a 1.11.4 400m splits
Mr fecking consistency a third 35 second lap,35.89 for 1.47.3 at 600m
Kicked like mule over the final lap and passed runners 6 & 7 on the back straight but ran out of real estate up the home straight to reel in 5th
33.6 split for a 2.20.98 finish that was rounded up to 2.20.99....
Hindsight is a wonderful thing,I wish I'd been more aggressive on that third 200....that said would I have dropped a closing 200 in 33.6........

Saturday
Fuck Sake! A week removed from the snow that banajaxed my repeats I got to my front door at 7am to be greeted by pissing down rain....that shite was coming down sideways!!!!
No point trying to run period in that much less intervals and w/ a prior commitment on tap for the afternoon I had no wiggle room.........
Insult to injury yer man reading the local weather tells us "no precipitation in the forecast for the next seven days".....that's fuckin' grand!

Sunday Repeats
Two choices,do repeats at the expense of my long run,or vice versa either way I wasn't getting my 50 miles in this week.....
Since last weeks repeats in the snow were a shit show and in two weeks time I have a race on the Sunday which puts a spanner in the works for a repeat that weekend I felt it was prudent to go w/ repeats over a long run.......
So the good news the track had dried out from Saturdays rain of Biblical proportions the bad news the fecking wind was fierce along the back straight and top turn

Mile
1.26-1.32-1.32-1.27=5.57.3
Sub 6 but last time out I went 5.53.....last time out I wasn't doing that mime shite down the back straight and top turn either!!!!

1,200m
1.30-1.32-1.28=4.30.1
While I was only 4 seconds down after the mile any hope of making a fist of it went out the shaggin window now

1,000m
1.29-1.34-42=3.45.9
Shamrock Warrior is getting angry.......

800m
1.31-1.28=2.59.8
#Negativesplits

600m
1.29-43=2.12.3
 A sub 1.30 opening 400......to quote Monty Python"still I was getting used to it by now"....

4x400m
1.22.9-1.22.8-1.20.6-1.17.5
At least I didn't "mail it in" and managed to get each split faster than the previous one....albeit by the skin of my teeth on #2

Insult to injury my 3/4 mile cool down was me running back to the Haverford train station to catch the 10.51am train or wait an hour till 11.51am
Upon boarding the train I instinctively went to my phone to pull up the National Hurling League results.......BOLLOCKS!!!!! Cork lost their opening game by a point......and hit 17 wides.......t'was that kind of a shaggin week I guess.....

No comments: