Wednesday, February 19, 2020

It's Official......

Yes dear reader I can confirm yours truly the Shamrock Warrior has thrown his bandana into the ring for this years Indoor Nationals in Baton Rouge
When I took my running sabatical between June 2016 and May 2017 the plan was always to return to track and Nationals....in running as is in life sometimes things don't always go to plan,lest we forget the  cock up of biblical preportions that was the 2017 Philadelphia Marathon and then the Bursitis issue in 2018 that delayed my plans to return to the track last season.
Anyways that's all ancient history now and while most of the 2019 season was about closing in on medal #200 the plan of attack was always two fold,get to 200 but also prep for Indoor Nationals.....

Tuesday 12 Miles
After the epic 15 hour round trip to Staten Island on Sunday{for just over 10 mins work......} I was a little tired to begin w/ so when the heavens opened that sealed my fate for Monday,now in this my second to last full week of 50 mpw I was faced w/ the prospect of another back to back to back 12 milers.......water off a ducks back at this stage
After a down week in mileage the week of Staten Island I was cognizant how much faster tonites run was,usually I aim for 9 min mile pace so it's give or take 1.48 for 12 miles,tonite I was back home w/in 1.40......at the time I put it down to eagerness to get a run in as it had been over a week since I'd gotten out there......

Wednesday 12 Miles
As is my won't w/ back to backs I switched things up tonite and hit West River Dr,another evening where the "loneliness of the long distance runner" mindset seemed to ring true as my 6 miles along the drive from the Art Museum to Strawberry Mansion bridge never presented another runner......but to quote a line from a Monty Python sketch"still I was getting used to it by now"......
Evidently Tuesday increase in pace wasn't a one off,out by 4.20pm home by 6pm,maybe now in week 9 of my training I've bulit up the required speed strength and stamina I've been aiming for

Thursday 10 Miles
Slight change in plans,a slightly later start than I'd have liked due to a trip to the bank to transfer funds into my checking account for tomorrows deadline for entry for Nationals meant I was closer to 4.30pm when I set off so mid run I envoked my inner paddy and said "Feck It".....10 miles today and just tack on an extra 2 miles after the tempo run on Sunday
Daylight had gone by the time I arrived back on my doorstep at 6pm but it's looking like I could be getting home before dusk next week, as of Saturday sunset is now 5.38pm.......

Saturday Repeats
Jaysus!!!!! 15-17 degrees at 7am when I left home to hit the track at Haverford,fuck me it was cold!!
I did have the option of a slightly later start then 8am as Spurs didn't play till Sunday but I'm a creature of habit and I've grown used to getting up at 6.30am and being out the door by 7am and on the track by 8am and done and dusted just gone 9am,as my mentor the late great Villanova track coach Jumbo Elliot famously said to his athletes" eat at the same time,train at the same time,sleep at the same time......and goddammit shit at the same time if possible"
My concession to the cold was to abandon my usual 3/4 length compression shorts and  bottoms in favour of running tights and tracksuit pants,this coupled w/ the cold air may've been why my times/splits were slightly off

Mile
1.31-1.33-1.34-1.28=6.06.6
Last time out I was miffed that my mile wasn't sub 6.....2 weeks ago it wasn't this feckin' baltic out here!

1,200m
1.29-1.33-1.28=4.30.4
Christ,after 2 repeats I was already at +13.....it was going to be"one of those days" I could tell!!

1,000m
1.26-1.28-43=3.37.9
At least my splits were getting quicker or I was getting used to the cold......

800m
1.26-1.23=2.47.2
As has become my won't a negative split for the 800m and the 800m was the highlight of my workout

600m
1.24-41=2.05.8
Always a plus to see semi decent times in the 400 splits

4x400m
1.20.6-1.21.8-1.21.7-1.19.2
Not earth shattering by any means but frankly I was just happy to have faced the below freezing temps and gotten my repeats in
The +36 doesn't sit well but hopefully things will be warmer next Saturday

Sunday 8 Mile Tempo Run
Christ!!! after the Baltic cold of Saturdays repeats my Sunday tempo run at 3.45pm was  conducted in mid 50 degree temps
Last time out 2 weeks ago in my season debut over the tempo run I went 58.43.6 off 7.20 mile pace,today:
6.43-6.52-6.48-7.08-7.06-7.10-7.11-7.00
55.57.7 off of 7 min mile pace
2.47 quicker and a nice rebound off of somewhat disappointing splits on my repeats

Another 5 day 50mpw......thanks to an easy 2 mile jog down Powelton Ave post Tempo run,one more week of 12s and 50mpw before I taper for Indoor National......all roads lead to Baton Rouge

No comments: