Friday, December 18, 2009

Not Great,But It'll Have To Do.

After the disappointment of Monday's 600s I was forced to scrap Wednesday's proposed 5x1,000m repeats when the mercury plummeted,38 degrees is one thing but when it feels like 28 that is very much"a horse of a different colour" and truth be told if I hadn't be in the position to conduct my mile repeats this afternoon I doubt very much I'd have been able to workout today.

I opted to train at 2pm,the latest I've ran on a Friday since my return to training at the end of July,back then it was important to be on the track no later than 12.30pm b4 the temps went into the 90s,today I wanted to maximize the afternoon sun that at best was going to top 35 degrees...but unlike the last two days was going to be 35 degrees not 25 degrees,that said it was still ski hat,gloves and jacket conditions.
#1 mile,1.18,1.23,1.23,1.15-5.19.90.I had hoped to open in 1.17 and hold onto that pace but I could tell it was going to one of those days from the get go.
#2 mile,1.21,1.25,1.26,1.19-5.31.57.Clearly the cold was not only effecting my muscles but also breathing in such cold air into my lungs wasn't helping any either.
#3 mile,1.22,1.28,1.25,1.19-5.34.84.Considering I had to restart this mile after my first lap didn't register due to my watch not starting thanks to my gloves this wasn't a bad repeat.
#4 mile,1.18,1.26,1.26,69-5.19.95.A good start,a crap middle,a strong finish.
I knew I needed to open strong but I had hoped my middle laps wouldn't be as slow,it was almost identical to #1 mile,the 6 seconds I lost on laps 2 and 3 I made up for on the final lap.

Obviously this was slower than I had hoped for but it was also down right cold,there was a considerable dip in the temperature at the end of the session at 2.40 than when it began at 2pm.
Today was my final Franklin Field repeat till January 12th,for the next two weeks I'm looking to use Temple's track on Tuesdays and Lower Merion's on Thursdays,I haven't thought about the following week,the old,cross,burn,paint,jump from that bridge when the new year rolls around.

No comments: