Sunday, January 21, 2018

{Re}Building The {Im}Perfect Beast

So it feels like a while since I last blogged,quick recap going into the final week of the year I needed 5 x10 milers to round out a 1,000m season,notched back to back 10s Christmas Day & Boxing Day and promptly didn't run for two whole weeks due to temps never getting above freezing!!!!

How cold was it? last Tuesday when I logged my first run in two weeks as I crossed the South St bridge that links to the Schuylkill foot path and eventually the Schuylkill  trail I saw first hand that said Schuylkill River was frozen solid........yeah it was that cold for two weeks!!!!
My other takeaway from my first evening run in a while was at 5.08pm it was still daylight a small victory but none the less a valid one post Marathon training in late November by 4.50pm it was dusk so we're getting there little by little

The following evening I notched a second 6 miler,given my two weeks of in activity I felt it was prudent to ease my way back into things,6 miles felt comfortable and had I've gotten out again on Thursday I would have nudged it upto 8 miles w/ a view to making the weekend 10 milers.....cue "old man winter" sending another arctic blast that stuck a fork in that notion!
I did however hit the trifecta on Wednesday of an idiot runner,an idiot pedestrian and a idiot driver over my six mile jaunt so I guess things were returning to normal afterall......

While the weather improved this past week my workload was brutal,I finished the week 58 mins shy of a 50 hour week,glass half empty too late to go out and run each evening when I did finally get home,glass half full w/a couple of races coming up in March & April paying for them just got a lot easier!!!

Cue the weekend,not since Dec 23rd/24th have I been able to get out the door to run but yesterday lunchtime I was able to log an easy 8 miler and enjoy some quote/unquote warm weather training which I must say felt nice
Despite a 11am kick off today for a Spurs game I was up by 7am stretched,and out the door by 8am for a second 8 miler in reasonable conditions for January period muchless 8am

I'm 9 weeks out from the season opener a half marathon on March 25th at the Love Run so it's important to continue to up my mileage,fingers crossed this will be a less brutal work week and a few more midweek 8 milers would set me up for back to back 10s next weekend,anytime I get into single digits for training I know it's serious but b4 I can tackle a half marathon I need to get my baseline miles back to 10 milers b4 slowly tweaking it upto 12s and 14s

No comments: