Monday, October 7, 2019

Tempo,Tempo,Tempo

Greetings from sunny Doha........via my living room anyways!!!!,not only was it a cracking week of world class Track & Field but a pretty good week for yours truly who for once wasn't getting up at silly o clock{4.45am} each day  or putting away every goddamn skid in the Owens & Minor warehouse that had made it's way to the hospital......
The game plan w/ a whole week off was to make up for the lost tempo runs of late on Monday,Wednesday,Friday,a 13 miler Saturday and the now newly minted tradition of a Sunday 18 miler everyother weekend...........

Monday 8 Mile Tempo Run
Of late the tempo run had  fallen by the wayside due to schedule issues,an issue I wasn't ok w/ as the weekly tempo run feels like it's been a huge benefit to my weekly training and while I wasn't looking to "make up for lost time" I wasn't expecting to lower my seasons best by 16 seconds either!!!
Splits of:6.23-6.31-6.33-6.32-6.45-6.30-6.44-6.31 brought me home in 52.30.5 off of 6.34 mile pace
Conditions were ideal,mild,no sun or wind,I felt at mile four when I clocked 25.19 I was probably on for something a bit special and while I'm frustrated at miles 5 & 7 being 6.45-6.44 I have to say it was a pretty even run
Of course coming out of the gate w/ a new seasons best lead me to ponder what do I do for an encore?

Wednesday 4 Miles
Oi!!!!!! when I first devised the idea of Mon,Wed,Fri tempo runs  two,maybe three weeks ago I wasn't anticipating the Wednesday{October 2nd} to be 95 degrees........
To the wankers who say Global Warming is a media invention I say pucker up and kiss my lillywhite South London feckin Irish arsehole!!!!!
By mile 4 I was gassed,my splits had gone:6.25-6.55-6.51-7.40 and the wheels had well and truly come off
As I made my way south on W. River Dr I had ample time to rethink my weeks schedule,I was damned if I was sacrificing Fridays Tempo Run so in order to keep that I was now looking at an easy 7 mile tomorrow and 10 miles Saturday,ergo why when I write my weekly schedule I do so in Pencil!

Thursday 7 Miles
More of a nuisance that anything I got out  by 10.30am and hit W. River Dr via Powelton Ave as I knew otherwise I'd run into the lunchtime  crowd on Spruce St who are  always so accommodating when I run by them at the lunch trucks............
Conditions were grey and overcast and dropped a massive 30 degrees from Wednesday,Fall was about to be ushered in abruptly

Friday 8 Mile Tempo Run
Proving Monday was no fluke I logged my second best time of the season w/ a 52.37.9 off 6.35 mile pace w/ splits of
6.35-6.49-6.37-6.41-6.39-6.33-6.36-6.08
Again a little uneven but I was impressed by the closing four miles,25.16 the weekly 55mpw are starting to pay off again as they did in March & April and while I had to battle the wind a little today no bastard heat to derail me,however today saw the last of "The Three S's" as I reluctantly said it's time to put the sleeveless shirts away till next year,the Shades & Shorts still have some life in them for now,but their days are numbered I'm sorry to say

Saturday 10 Miles
Due to a 7.30am Spurs game the run was pushed back to lunchtime, which was fine,much like Thursdays 7 miler a bit of a nuisance but had to be done if I was to claim a 5th 55 mile week in the last 6 weeks
W/ World's winding down I had time to reflect on the highs and lows of Doha,for all the boo hooing about staging them in Qatar I feel the IAAF did a stellar job w/ these championships and if Oregon is half as exciting two years from now we'll be in for a treat.......lest we forget Tokyo and the Olympics are only 10 months away......

Sunday 18 Miles
If it's every second Sunday it's 18 miles over the hills of Fairmount Park and East Falls for himself
I've truly come to love this run......ask me again in the dead of Winter how I feel about it but for now the change of environment,scenery and undulating hills are a plus
I said  two weeks ago when I conducted my last September 18 milers it would be interesting to see the contrast in conditions come October,grey and overcast but as close to ideal conditions for a Sunday long run as you could hope for between 9am and 11.30am

Back to the grind w/ work tomorrow but a new regime in some respects,in theory I should be getting done  at 2.30pm each day which will afford me afternoon runs in daylight till mid November after the clocks go back

No comments: