Friday, July 3, 2015

Fatigue......The Other F Word......

We all know I'm more than well versed in the "dark arts" when it comes to the  F word,F bomb,yes when in full flight this born again black hearted celtic pagan could make a Sailor blush w/ his choice of language which has been known to be more colourful than Finnian's Rainbow......what can I say I like to express myself!!!!!

However,Wednesdays F word was actually fatigue,while Ultravox told us to "Reap The Wild Wind" Wednesdays 8 miler told me what I already knew,running 46 miles over eight days w/ only one day off {Saturdays supersoaker}  had left the tanks dry,not so much "Reap The Wild Wind" but "Reap What You Sow"
Granted nobody had put a gun to my head and said "you have to run 7 out of 8 days" I did it of my own valition,the end product was a slower series of repeats Sunday,a below par race Tuesday and a fight to even run Wednesday.

Anytime Mr Sandman is winning the battle on the Subway/Trolley commute home after work I know I'm knackered,so much so that the original plan of a tempo run was quickly dismissed like a "so do you come here often?" pick up line in a bar.....not running however wasn't an option,taking care of business on Wednesday not only set up a "chore day" on Thursday but also cleared the playing field for a whole day off on Friday since the "powers that be" had granted us the day off from work on Friday......recovery run it was.....

Knowing I have all of next week off when I envoke the "week 9" clause in training means throwing everything at Saturdays scheduled 8x800m repeats and doing what I need to do Sunday over the long run so Wednesday was just about getting the run in,having already accepted that fatigue had played it's role in Tuesdays 4.49.03 mile there was no need for "soul searching" during the run,a week off and a chance to recharge the batteries b4 the final dress rehearsal on July 14th I hope will give me the boost I need b4 heading to Jacksonville for Nationals the following week.

37.59 at the turn, a potential 1.15.58 not that time was relivant here,the fact I'd gone out and ran was enough of a victory for me,ok it wasn't the tempo run I had planned but I hadn't thrown in the towel and played the "tired" card either......
1.16.44 not a negative split but neither a negative performance in my eyes,the pace was even and hopefully w/ two well earnt rest days the July 4th fireworks won't be limited to the skies on Saturday......

No comments: