Tuesday, October 27, 2009

In Loving Memory

Today marks 25 years since my father passed away,one of the darkest days of my life to date.
No anniversary of Kevin's passing is easy,the fact this year marks a quarter of a century makes it a little more poignant this year.
It wasn't lost on me last nite after my 6x600 repeat that in and around October 27th each year I produce a performance worthy of the ould fella, a few years back I won the Northeast Road Runners 25k and last year ran a pr at xc8k in New Jersey,Kevin was instrumental in my running from the very beginning and even now some 25 years removed from this life he still influences me.
On his 2002 cd "New Day At Midnight" David Gray wrote a song "The Other Side" about the loss of his father,it's one of several classic David Gray tunes and one I hope he performs tonite at The Tower,unlike Saturday's proposed show in New York that I never got to thanks to the heavy rain knocking out the power on the train tracks and meant I sat for over two hours outside of Rahway on my way to Penn Station and eventually 4 hours into a 90 min train ride from Trenton to New York I gave up at Newark Airport and headed home I hope to not only see David Gray but also hope he performs this number..... oh yeah and if the ould fella's beloved Spurs could beat Everton in the Carling Cup that'd be awesome too!!!

Kevin used to tease me when I was younger how I'd forget about him long after he was gone,that couldn't be further from the truth,gone but never to be forgotten rest in peace dad.
"Meet me on the other side,meet me on the other side,I'll see you on the other side,see you on the other side
Honey now if I'm honest,I still don't know what love is,another mirage folds into the haze of time recalled,and now the floodgates cannot hold
All my sorrow all my rage a teardrop falls on every page"
The Other Side David Gray.

No comments: