Friday, October 23, 2009

Huffin' & Puffin'

It's never easy to come to the pc after a race or repeat workout hasn't gone as planned but I refuse to be one of those people who only want to talk about the good performances and try to sweep under the rug anything less than satisfactory,my list of character defects may well run long but I'm nothing if not honest even if it goes pear shaped.
Conditions at lunchtime seemed more akin to late October,grey skies and a strong wind blowing through Franklin Field,anytime I notice the flags atop the stands in full flight I know I'm in for a battle.

Mile #1,1.18,1.22,1.25,1.22-5.27.36.I was hoping to target 1.16/1.18 pace clearly the wind was already playing havoc but I was guilty of not being fully focused on laps 3 and 4,at 800m I was on pace at least for a 5.20 mile.
Mile#2,1.19,1.26,1.24,1.17-5.26.27.As in mile #1 the middle two laps proved to be my undoing,the risk of going out at a high end pace of 1.18/1.19 is that when that dips you're into the 1.20s which will always reflect slow splits.
Mile#3,1.24,1.28,1.31,1.29-5.52.91.Just plain ole butt ugly!! I almost bailed after the third lap wind and fatigue do not make for great splits as was evident here,5.52 per mile will NOT cut it for me.
Mile#4,1.24,1.27,1.28.1.10-5.29.24.At least the was something redeeming w/ the final mile but being able to throw in a 70 second closing laps off of the prior three lap splits will not see my name on the Milers Hall Of Fame ballot anytime soon.

Not quite what I had hoped for today,clearly conditions hampered any hopes I had of improving on my splits from two weeks ago which is a blow but also having ran reasonably decent spits over 600 and 1,000 it was a shame my mile splits couldn't follow suit.
I have at least put in three repeat workouts this week and w/ another 10 miler scheduled tomorrow in between Spurs vs Stoke and traveling up to NYC for David Gray it could end up being a half decent week after all.

2 comments:

dinklesnaps said...

Wow! You did the 1000 and mile repeat workouts back-to-back?

kevin f forde said...

You sound surprized?