Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Setting Foot Inside The Death Zone Once Again

First of all allow me to apologize for no blog entries last week,it's not that I was short of things to write about......problem was they had nothing to do w/ running!!!!
Cliff Notes version,I got sick at the begining of the week,my rotation got thrown off b4 I even began,the rain stuck it's size 9 bovver boots in by Thursday and even if I'd wanted to run the 5K XC at VCP Sunday I couldn't since thanks to a "cock up of biblical proportion"my pay cheque was off by a couple of hundred bucks and I didn't have the $30 to catch the train/enter the race........and that's just the tip of the iceberg,surfice to say I needed to get out and run just to release some pent up frustrations that had been backing up like I95 in rush hour for the past week.
Glass half full{yes despite all my angst,anger and rage I can look for a silver lining}not racing Sunday would allow me the chance of a Mon,Wed,Fri rotation on the track w/ the option of a 10 miler on Saturday and w/ that in mind I hit Franklin Field for a 6x600m repeat.
Ah the good ole 6x600m or as it's lovingly often referred to "The Death Zone"it was once said of this repeat in order to be successful on the track one needs to spend time in"The Death Zone" it was also the same person who coined the phrase "mind numbing,gut wrenching,self inflicted pain,repeat" of 6x600m and w/ that in mind I set out to conduct my first 6x600m in a while,and if I'm not mistaken my first this year.

I wasn't sure what to expect of myself,what I did know was I'd set myself a 1.50 per repeat target and I would go for all 6 600s no half stepping it or building up from 4x600m,foolhardy maybe,but it's said that "fortune favours the brave"....and besides HUP, Hospital of University Of Pennsylvania is right across the road from Franklin Field!!!
#1,600m,67-39-1.46.18.So much for going out in a comfortable,conservative opening 400m of 76 seconds,question was would this come back to bite me in the bum a few repeats later?
#2,600m,71-37-1.48.65.So far,so good I was feeling comfortable even w/ marginally faster opening 400 splits,but could I keep up this pace?
#3,600m,72-37-1.49.45.Still on target but edging towards the plus side of 1.50,that opening 67 second 400m was about to come into play.
#4,600m,76-37-1.53.84.Not so much a case of the time honoured "cheque being in the mail" more a case of it being delivered,I knew that the final two 600s would be torture.
#5,600m,83-46-2.09.78.It came as no great surprise this happened but in running as in life I'd rather do it the hard way,taking the easy way out at 4x600m would leave me questioning how well I'd make the jump to 6x600m next week?
#6,600m,84-37-2.01.56.A modicum of redemption and while I'm never thrilled at anything in plus 2.00 realm on 600s all things considered I'd handled my return to "The Death Zone" reasonably well.

It would've been all to easy to set a slower target time than 1.50,nothing would've been gained from that,had I've gone w/ 4x600m I'm convinced I could've gone 4/4 at sub 1.50 but that'll mean precious little next week stepping up to the full 6x600m and in all honesty if you'd offered me 3/6 b4 the work out began I'd have taken it.

No comments: