Saturday, October 10, 2009

What Once Was Old Is New Again

Never let it be said I don't listen to advice,just over a year ago it was brought to my attention that my training regime lacked a long run,I thought about it at the time but that was as far as it went,fast forward 11 months and the same person again questioned why I opted against a long run,perhaps a longer run would help me in my 5ks,be they track,xc or road,as was painfully evident last Sunday in Syracuse I'm capable of opening fast but not having the strength or stamina to follow through.
When I read Eamon Coghlan's biography he talked about how Jumbo would send the Villanova guys out on long runs on the weekend,clearly it's not a radical part of middle distance training so I opted for a 10 miler this afternoon to get used to being on my legs a while longer than I have been of late.

Pre achilles injury I ran 6 or 7 milers along Cobbs Creek but I fancied something a little different so I thought once around the Art Museum Loop at 8.4 miles would be fun,between 1989 and 2006 I often conducted training runs on the loop but at the last minute I said feck it added on part of the Schuylkill Banks and made it a 10 miler,my first 10 miler since Oct 2nd 2006.
Remembering what JC had said about not worrying about time I deliberately left my stop watch at home,I just needed to focus on running,I was probably going to have my work cut out for me,three years removed my last last 10 miler,almost 6 months since my last long runs a 7 miler on April 19th followed by a 6 miler 3 days later.

I opted to go up West River Drive and back down Kelly Drive towards the Art Museum,the logic being that Kelly Drive tends to be more populated and I figured over the later half of the run I'd need other runners to to push and pull me along,for some reason West River Drive always seems less populated and I may need all the help I could get in the final miles.....of course if I used West River Drive for my second half less people would witness a "soft shoe shuffle" if it all went tits up on me,but in the end I felt positive thoughts would lead to positive actions.
I passed three other runners along West River Drive b4 crossing Falls Bridge but remarkably only passed one runner on Kelly Drive and that wasn't till Girade Bridge but to be honest it didn't matter as remarkably I was able to cruise along at a comfortable pace to complete my 10 miler w/out any ill effects.

I'll look to keep this run in my rotation,next week is out as I plan to hit Van Cortlandt Park next Sunday for a 5kxc race but in a fortnite's time I plan on doing this run again.
21 miles for the week.

3 comments:

dinklesnaps said...

Funny you should mention long run. I just introduced a long run (10 miles) into my weekly routine. I'll be doing this on a trial basis only. I have just two more weeks of it.

kevin f forde said...

How did you feel after your 10 miler?
I see you timed yours,for the forseeable future I doubt I'll be timing mine but sooner or later my competitve nature will kick in and I'll taking splits

dinklesnaps said...

I felt okay. My legs cramped a little towards the end of the run. It was my third one. It can be hard doing 10 miles solo style. Saturday is my long run day, although some people I know consider 10 miles a mid-length run.