Tuesday, October 15, 2024

All In, No Matter What The Outcome Is


 Final full week of training heading into Dublin, while I'm off from work next prior to heading to Dublin I will try to get some miles in b4 flying to Dublin on Wednesday night, while I doubt they will make a difference in the overall outcome of the marathon they will help me potentially crack triple digit mileage this month which sadly hasn't happen for months, possibly March?

I was feeling leggy from Sundays exploits and it would have been easy to blow off my lunchtime jaunt up the Parkway and along  Kelly Dr period, it's a slippery slope blow off Monday and b4 I know it it's Thursday and I haven't done jack shit which means by Saturday or Sunday there'll be less inclination to get out there, sure as far as Dublin goes it's too late now but the lure of returning to triple digit monthly mileage is a big motivation...whatever it takes yeah?

56 degrees at 2pm as I made my way up the Parkway towards the Art Museum, 8.37 for the opening mile kinda where I was hoping for roughly 9 min mile pace, thankfully no issues w/ Hal the little bollix of a Garmin today!..........9.10 at mile 2, this is where it got interesting......... I was leggy to begin w/ and now as I headed north along the Schuylkill I had to contend w/ a strong headwind.......

I did strongly consider turning at 2.5 miles and making it a 5 miler but ploughed on till mile 3....fuckin ada.....9.56 split at this point I stopped to walk a little and somewhat belatedly opted to make this a 5 miler 9.19 at mile 4, 36.22 I was going to have to hoof it if I was going to get sub 45 for 5 miles

8.53 for the final mile for a 45.54.5 time off 9.11 mile pace, yes slow but somedays its about the effort not the time, it would be easy to " throw my toys out of the pram" at this point and say if I can't run the Dublin Marathon to the level I've been accustomed to the last 39 years why bother? kind of a cop out so I've accepted Dublin won't be my finest hour....or four and embrace the event and run a marathon from a different perspective, interact w/ the crowd and my fellow runners, hopefully help a fellow marathoner  as we grind through the miles towards the finish and if any would be spectator wants to bestow some Guinness upon us mad bastards out on the course I can say w/out fear of contradiction  I'm here for all of that.......Slainte!

No comments: