Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Time Keeps On Tickin'........


 I was tempted to go the Europe route and use "The Final Countdown" but much like if you sing "Happy Birthday" ye have to pay royalties, I'm not giving  Joey Tempest any money.....although I'm sure he could use it since Europe were pretty much  a "One Hit Wonder" back in the 80s.....

So a little "house cleaning" from Monday, after a near 3 week period of inactivity I got my sorry arse out the door at lunchtime, this was my first lunchtime run since March 7th,full disclosure I had hoped to run six miles ....however a mile and a half into said run I was "suckin' air" as a result of my inactivity so I promptly cut my losses and turned around to make it a three miler, rather than throw my toys out of the pram I figured hopefully Tuesday I could bump it up a mile to four and then five on Wednesday w/ a view to getting to six come Thursday, at that rate a mile a day I'd be up to nineteen miles by the 23rd the day I depart for Dublin......not too shabby.......however there is the oh so small matter that this week and next week I'm at work and trying to utilize my lunch hour to run.....not sure an extended lunch to up my miles will cut mustard w/ the powers that be......the man....always keeping me down!

I have to say conditions both days at 2pm in the opening ten days of October were ideal, sunny and warm w/ no heat or humidity to contend w/ as I made my way up to the Schuylkill River Trail via the Ben Franklin Parkway, why I haven't used the Parkway b4 I don't know it's only  a block over from JFK Blvd which I had been using, its less crowded w/ pedestrian traffic and vehicle traffic and also a change of scenery never hurts 

Based off of Monday when I managed 3 miles in 27.25.6 off 9.09 mile pace I was shooting for 4 miles in  roughly 36 mins, opening mile was 8.26 and yet again I was " suckin air" but managed to find a rhythm and clocked 8.45 at mile 2 just beyond Boathouse Row, at this point I was going to be inside 36 mins but given my recent failures to complete runs and the clock tickin' on Dublin I was more focused on getting the miles in, sub 36 was an added bonus if it happened....

9.00 flat at mile 3 as I made my way down the Parkway towards City Hall, did I "let the clutch out" and go for it or keep in mind I have to be back tomorrow to tack on an extra mile......8.43 for the closing mile and a 34.53.6 finish off 8.43 mile pace, lets keep things in perspective it's only 4 miles which would only get me to Phoenix  Park in Dublin however at a time when my confidence is as low as Whale shit at the foot of the ocean I have to take even a small victory and use it

Lets see if I can tack on an extra mile tomorrow and get further thro Phoenix Park.....

No comments: