Friday, September 11, 2009

Rain Does Not Stop Play

While the US Open is in a rain delay up at Flushing Meadows I still managed to get in my 5x1,000m repeat workout at a rain soaked Franklin Field this lunch time.
From the time I woke up at 10.30am till stepping onto the track at 1pm I had options,not running,which frankly is never really an option,waiting out the rain which w/ hindsight wouldn't have worked,switching from 5x1,000m to a 5,000m time trial which I considered or just sucking it up and saying ok it's raining,so what?,it's not like I've never ran in the rain b4.

After the warm up and stretches it was time to go for it,as best I could I needed to forget about the rain and just try to focus on the matter at hand......easier said than done when there's wind and driving rain but like the old Cher comment when she was a spokesperson for Ballys "they're just excuses"

1,000m#1,1.14,1.18,37-3.09.52.a great start perhaps a little too great,w/ hindsight I wish I'd paid more attention to that second lap,I thought 2.32 at 800m was a shade slow,turns out it was exactly the same split of repeats#1 and #2 last week,had I 've known that maybe I wouldn't have upped the pace over the closing 200m.
1,000m#2,1.16,1.17,36-3.09.98.another strong 1k but perhaps too strong,last week when I opened 1.14,1.18,40,1.14.1.18,39.I was able to hold onto that pace,then again last week wasn't conducted in wind and driving rain.
1,000m#3,1.17,1.18,39-3.14.12.the start of the rot,had I opened in 3.12s maybe I'd be better equipped to handle the fatigue that was setting in.
1,000m#4,1.20,1.24,41-3.25.17.could somebody call AAA I think my wheels may've just fallen off!!!,shades of week 1 repeat#4.
1,000m#5,1.19,1.22,36-3.17.19.a far cry from last week but then again the conditions were completely different also last weeks combined splits were 15.59,today 16.14.

I can take some solice from at least meeting the conditions head on rather than duck them,it's another 5x1,000m repeat prior to Syracuse,granted not a great one but hopefully come Wednesday the conditions will be more favourable and so will be the splits,who knows maybe my socks will have dried off by then!!

4 comments:

dinklesnaps said...

Looks like you're coming along nicely, despite your slight disappointment. How much rest in-between?

kevin f forde said...

3 mins.
How are you making out?

dinklesnaps said...

I'm coming along okay...just okay. I have a prescription for physical therapy that I have yet to use, and I plan to see a massage therapist this week. Tuesdays are my interval days. This morning (5:50 AM) I did 6x1000 with a 200 m jog-rest in-between each. They ranged between 3:40 (first one) and 3:30 (last one). I'll do a couple of 5Ks this fall before preparing for the indoor season, that is, if my Achilles is still intact by then.

kevin f forde said...

I'd recomend either physical therapy or massage therapy,the one thing I'll miss now that my stint w/ pt is over is my twice weekly massage.
As my former coach used to tell me"at our age not only are we more prone to injury but it takes us longer to recover so we just have to be sensible"