Sunday, September 20, 2009

5K Q&A

"It's not a crime to be innocent these things we have not done,but you're not some little child spring is past and gone.
Well I know my craving heart and I've seen your vicious eyes,and I think we know the truth both you and I.
Don't flutter your lashes like a little girl and ask me why it's such a cruel cruel world no.
Don't ask anymore stupid questions you already know the answers to"
Stupid Questions-New Model Army.

A day of firsts,my first Saturday workout since May 2nd,my first trip to Lower Merion's high school track since May 31st and my first 5,000m time trial ever this side of the atlantic,my last one came on June 4th......1986......
In fact in my entire career I've only ever conducted 9 5,000m time trials, a very humble 19.45 way back in August 81 through a slightly better 17.42.7 in June 86,in fact between May 1st and June 4th of 86 I conducted 6 time trials that ranged from 16.59.38 through 17.44.43.
I felt the time was right to see what I've got or don't have w/ Syracuse getting ever closer so off I treked to Lower Merion to give myself a better idea.

Conditions were great,is there a better month than September to run?my only gripe was the wind,it's one thing when your either doing 4 laps or 2.5 in a mile or 1k repeat but for 12.5 it can be a factor.
I knew not to get bogged down in countless splits,I'd check my opening lap,the 800m and then my 1k split and from then on just each k,that said I wish I'd taken note of my mile split,however I didn't,oh well next time if I get the chance of another time trial b4 Syracuse{which looks unlikely the way my schedule is shaping up but who knows.....}
1.15-1.18{2.33}39-3.12 for the opening 1k,I really didn't know what to expect,perhaps a tad too rich for my blood,it'd help if there was more time to tinker w/ this but Oct 4th is set in stone,I do should I so chose have the option of other 5ks,post Syracuse as 5ks tend to be a dime a dozen especially in October but I don't think I'll get a better course or field than the one I'll get in Syracuse in a fortnights time so strike while the proverbial iron is hot.

My remaining kilometer splits read 3.22,3.38,3.45,3.27 for a finishing time of 17.24.78.{my closing lap was 1.16},this ranks #4 all time in 5,000m time trials and I take solice in the fact numbers 1,2,and 3 were all ran 23 years ago....when I was 22 years old!!!!
Do I now have more questions than answers after my time trial?maybe,it's not an exact science for gods sakes,it's one thing to be all by my lonesome for 12.5 laps on the track as opposed to an actual road race w/ numerous other runners to work off of,so I feel the jury is still out on this one.
Were it not for 5th Avenue Mile next Saturday I'd have a little more leeway w/ my schedule,but I don't,I also know a Mon-Wed rotation is out as Franklin Field is off limits Wed so I'm leaning towards a 5x1,000m repeat Tuesday and maybe just a mile time trial Thursday b4 heading to New York,which then only leaves a week to fine tune for Syracuse.

No comments: