Sunday, March 6, 2016

Another Race,Another Silver

Ok,so now that the 2016 edition of Masters Indoor Nationals is in the book I can happily report my record stands at 5 Silver,6 Bronze.......and four of those silvers have come in my last four races no less!!!

Following a 30 minute ice bath last nite I was only going to do the traditional 20 mins but got so caught up in the latest chapter of my I hope soon to be published Life story "Pale,Paddy & Proud" I was in there for 30 mins.......trust me even after a hot shower right after I got out from the tub I was shivering for a while.....that'll teach me for overdoing it but hey I was in a creative mode w/ the book.....plus I'm a Paddy......it's not in our DNA to do anything by half!!!

Arrived at the track by 9.20am and got my  stretches in b4 I mile warm up outside,if yesterday I'd been a tad "uptight" pre race today  I was more relaxed and willing to talk to my opponents,something I didn't do b4 the 1,500m,"game face" is one thing but this is meant to be fun,plus we're in our 50s now this isn't "life or death"

Originally there were due to be two fields for the M50 800m but w/ scratches and several runners opting for the 3,000m over the 800m only 7 of us toed the line:Landen Summay,Dan Bergeson,me,David Bynoe,Tim Hoff,Richard Larson and Bruce Rash.
I knew Landen was going to take it out from the gun so the plan was go w/ him and hope for the best,good reaction to the gun again but got cut off by Dave Bynoe going into the first turn,Landen and Dan were pulling away so I made my move on the back straight to swing by Dave and Dan and into second just behind Landen.
Holy shit! 30 seconds for the opening 200m from Landen,I knew he wouldn't be hanging around and I probably went through in a not too shabby 31 w/ Dan and Dave not too far behind me.
60 at 400m for Landen 61 for moi I felt ok but tried not to think about the pace and just hang on for dear life,in my mind I felt I was running for second b4 the gun went off anyway but at least I was going for it rather than "playing safe" and looking to out kick Dan and Dave at the death.

1.32 I think at 600m,Landen was opening a gap but I was aware that I couldn't hear Dan or Dave behind me,unlike both my Outdoor Nationals races last summer when I glanced over my shoulder to see if I had bronze taken care of in the 800m and 1,500m I kept my eyes forward yesterday and today,seven months removed from the paler version of me then I feel much stronger and much more confident as a result of my off season and prep for this weekend.
My legs felt they had turned to rubber coming off the final turn,Landen was close to if not crossing the line in an impressive 2.03.24 and I might've had a 2.07/2.08 in me if I could've gotten my legs to cooperate!

Second and Silver in 2.09.51......not too shabby if I say so myself,both Indoor  800s this season were sub 2.10 2.09.94 in February at The Armory and now 2.09.51 here at Albuquerque....at altitude......go me!
All in all no complaints from the weekend,another two Masters Nationals medals to the collection and another pair of podium finishes to continue enhancing my legacy.
I suspect there's one more Indoor meet in me at The Armory on March 26th to wrap my Indoor season b4 off to build some base b4 the Outdoor season.....Grand Rapids Michigan here I come!!!

No comments: