Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Never Overlook The Little Things

After Mondays rest day it was back out today, a tempo workout,2 miles to warm up,a mile of strides,600m,1,200m,600m,1,200m,600m strides and a mile and a half to round things out to a nice even 7 miles.
When GP first floated this workout I thought he,d want me to do it on the track but he was happy for me to do it around Clark Park even if it meant me "eyeballing" what I thought would be 600m and 1,200m.I,ve said more than once it,s not like I,ve gone around the lower loop of Clark Park w/ a measuring wheel from Home Depot,it,s roughly half a mile or 800m so figured what would make 600m from the where I start my loops and likewise for a 1,200m.
Conditions were great,I could,ve gone w/ shorts and a t shirt but keeping in mind how I got sick b4 last years Indoor Nationals I opted to go w/ my jacket and warm up bottoms,I feel like I,m starting to round into form right now the last thing I need is to get sick and lose even more valuable training time.
Also tonite I ditched my ipod,it felt I needed to focus on my workout,this wasn,t a lose your self in your music put in the miles workout this was a serious tempo workout,I even broke out the stop watch to count off my 3 minute recoverys between 600m and 1,200m runs.
After an easy 2 miles to get loose and a mile of strides it was down to business,GP had stressed form and strenght were the keys and not to worry about time,probably why it was easier to conduct this workout here rather than the track,I felt great on my opening 600m,on Sunday I felt for the first time since my injury that I wanted to dig deep both mentally and physcally,I feel like I,m starting to break through that glass ceiling.
My 1,200m probably wasn,t as prolific as my 600m in terms of speed/pace but I hope the effort was there,head straight,arms and legs pumping,I,ve noticed since Tom,s River 2 Sundays ago I,m getting up on my toes again,alot of the tell tale signs are starting to shine through.
Another solid 600m again I felt like I could dig deep,it should be inherent in my paddy dna to dig I come from a long line of ditch diggers and laborers,after the rattle the next thing we master is a shovel!!!
1.200m,again maybe not as fast as my 600m but when it came to "go time" inside the final 100m the instinct to drive and dig deep was there,little by little I,m getting there.
I,d almost forgotten about the 600m strides,I got done w/ my last 1,200m and started to think about my mile and a half cool down,good job I,d brought my piece of paper w/ the workout written down w/ me.
W/ all my workout done I was able reflect on a good evenings work and the hope that this weekend will see faster times in the mile and 800m in New York and Ursinus than two weeks ago in Landover and Tom,s River.

No comments: