Sunday, March 2, 2008

Thank You,re Mother And Get It Over W/

Following my early morning 5 miler it was time to get semi suited and booted and make my way to PACTC,S awards lunch where I had the honour of being named male runner of the year,following in the foot steps of Tom De Schriver,Chuck{twice}and Seebs,illustrious company and I hope this years winner will feel likewise when they get to pick up the award next year.
Blame it on any number of reasons but I chose not to give a speech when I got my award,I didn,t feel like I wanted to shout to be heard over the big screen tvs and other diners so I took a leaf out of one of Bono,s famous quotes and accepted my award and sat down.
Had I,ve made the speech I had hope to make these are the people I would,ve liked to have thanked.
Dave Thomas....yes dispite the fact after almost 3 years Dave still manages to mispronounce my last name I owe a debt to Dave and all the work he puts into PACTC, alot of great things have come from my time w/ PAC.
To all the men and women who,ve ran road and off road races for PAC it,s your efforts that make us a perenial top three finisher in the road grand prix series and winners of the off road series,those points equate to dollars which mean we can have awards lunches etc,the club can reimburse those of us who choose to go to Nationals and when Chuck puts together a relay on the track Dave cuts a cheque so thank you one and all for your efforts throughout the season.
To my track team mates,for every meet we,ve gone to,for each repeat session we,ve done on the track I owe you all so much,I especially want to single out Chuck,Scott and Ray for traveling w/ me and or rooming w/ me on numerous trips,I could,ve done it alone.....but where,s the fun in that?
To my mother and father Eileen and Kevin,thanks for the love and support from across the ocean and from heaven,I may have failed you in so many other areas of my life but as a runner I hope I,ve made you both proud.
Seebs I don,t thank you enough for allowing me to live in the basement of your house but it,s no coincidence I,ve earnt awards etc since I,m a stones throw from Franklin Field and Clark Park.
Coach GP,I,ve said it b4 but I,ll say it again,Steve Ovett had Harry Wilson,Seb Coe had his dad Peter Coe,Eamonn had Jumbo Elliott and I have GP.
God,w/out him I,d have nothing,I,ve always said my running is a god given talent,between my natural ability,GP,s coaching and God,s blessing I am where I am these days.
Eamonn Coghlan{if you didn,t see this coming you either don,t know me or have never read my blog}my career began in the summer of 76 by which time "The Chairman" was already making a name for himself at Villanova,from the time I saw him run for Ireland at the 76 Olympics I was a fan,if ever there was someone I wanted to idolize it was Eamonn.
Slainte

1 comment:

seebo said...

Thanks for the shout, Kevin & congrats on the well-deserved award.