Sunday, March 2, 2008

Turning The Corner I Hope

Having learnt a vital lesson two weeks ago I opted to go straight to Roxboro this morning to get my track workout in,it,s a long way to go and makes for a long day{left home at 9.20am,returned at 1.40pm but hey,it,s like I often say, at Nationals do you want to be on the podium or standing next to it???}.
Got to the track by 11am,conditions were favourable,sunny and mild,mild enough to shead one layer of clothing for once.
Following my stretches and mile warm up I was ready for business 3 in and out 800m repeats,starter for ten,fingers on the buzzers,no conferring{old University Challenge reference}46/36
GP.s request was to take the first 200m easy to try and hit that 46 second mark,I was gobsmacked to clock 39 seconds because I thought I was being more conservative than that,threw in a 37 second second 200 only a second off pace b4 manging a 44 second third 200 and rounded out the first repeat w/ a 34 second 200m.
3 min recovery and time to have at it again only this time it was 45/35,opened w/ a 43 a little faster than scheduled but hopefully I wouldn,t pay for it later,nor did I want to pay for my 34 second 2nd 200m.Oops!!proving I,m often a terrible judge of pace I slowed down a tad too much on my 3rd 200m,clunk!!51 seconds b4 flying to a 33 second closing 200m at least I felt like I was moving for a change on a repeat.Another 3 minute recovery and off to the final repeat 44/34. Brisk again on the opener 42 seconds followed by a 36 second second 200m,did it again on my third 200m 49 seconds slowed down but slowed too much b4 kicking it up a notch to notch a closing 200m of 34 secs,however my day was not yet done following a 10 minute recovery I had an all out 500m to conduct,GP,s instructions were 'put it all on the line'....I,m paraphrasing slightly but you get my jist I think!!!! wanted a 63 at 400m and 1.18 at 500m,but had to settle for 1.11 and 1.29 but it wasn,t for the want of trying let me tell you,today I walked off the track smiling unlike Wednesday when I thought I,d been a bit premature in booking my flight to Boston.Early March was when GP felt we,d turn the corner and I,m hoping this is the day,we,ll see next week but for now I want to enjoy today,the day I felt like I was getting back to the old me.

No comments: