Monday, March 17, 2008

Pale,Paddy And Proud/Shamrocks And Shenanigans

A week,they say is a long time in politics,it,s also a long time in running.Following my 7 miler last Monday I found myself laid up and under the weather untill Friday when I began to train again w/ back to back 5 milers Fri and Sat.
Sadly Sundays fartlek run didn,t quite go as planned as I just felt I couldn,t get going and the first negative thoughts re Indoor Nationals began to manifest themselves.
Going into todays 6 miler there is still a sense of uncertainty regarding Boston and Indoor Nationals and while midnight tonite marks the first deadline for entries I still have a few days to weigh up the pros and cons b4 making a final decision.
W/ a few days in the company of my sister Lynn and brother in law Chris to look forward to I hope to find that spark to galvinize me towards Boston but maybe the launch pad could be today,St Patrick,s Day.
I come from a long line of Irishmen and women,my parents,grandparents,great grandparents and beyond all proud paddies whos memories I,d somehow sully if I didn,t celebrate March 17th,and while I distance myself from the masses w/ their green John Deere tshirts and even more offensive green beer{NO self respecting Irishman or woman will be caught dead drinking green beer thank you very much!}I celebrate in my own way,The Pogues on my ipod during my run,Potato soup and Corn Beef sandwiches for dinner,washed down w/ a few Mountain Dews and The Irish In America on The History Channel,ERIN GO BRAGH.
My final words come from my all time favourite Pogues song"Thousands Are Sailing" a song dedicated to those who over the centuries have come to America to seek a better life for themselves and I dedicate it to any of my forefathers who were not as fortunate as I
"Where,re we go we celebrate the land that makes us refugees from fear of priests w/ empty plates,from guilt and weaping effigies and we dance to the music and we dance"
Slanite

No comments: