Friday, August 21, 2009

Triple H

Not so much Hazy,Hot and Humid,more Hurt,Humbled and Humiliated.
After 11 good workouts I guess I was due a clunker,it would've been nice if it hadn't been today on my first 4x1 mile repeat since May 2nd not to mention the transitional repeat leading out of phase one of my training and into phase two beginning Monday,but shit happens.

It all began well enough,unlike last week I made sure to be up at a reasonable time and on the track by 11.10am,given the heat and humidity today that proved to be prudent.....though by the time mile 3 rolled around I was wishing I'd stayed in bed!!!
Having walked to Franklin Field in order to take care of a personal matter I had a flashback to "the old days" of walking from 46th and Hazel to Franklin Field to conduct 4x1 mile repeats,for the past three years in mid to late August I've been coming off of Nationals and gearing for 5th Avenue Mile,this year I'm coming off of my achilles tendon injury.

Stretched and did my mile warm up,now to build on last weeks 3x1 mile repeats of 5.29.06,5.22.25,5.05.54.
Mile#1
1.17. for the opening lap,pretty much what I was looking for.
1.22.split2.39.at 800m,ok for an opening mile of 4 x1 miles but not earth shattering.
4.04.at the bell a 1.25.split.
5.25.25.and a 1.21.split,a good start.

Mile #2
1.18.to open a good start.....however
2.42.at 800m off of a 1.24.split,little did I know the rot was setting in
4.07.at the bell and a 1.25.split
5.20.40.thanks to a 73 second closing lap

Mile#3
1.23.to open and the writing was very much on the wall
2.52.at 800m,no knee lift or leg turnover...^&!@ a 1.29.split
4.25.at the bell a 1.33.split,the words hell and hand basket sprung to mind.....and a few unprintable ones also!!
6.01.23. a 1.36.split
At this point there was a temptation to step off the track and say I'd blown it,instead I used the last two minutes of my 5 minute recovery on my back w/ my legs up against the wall in the hope of draining the lactated acid out of my legs.

Mile#4
1.30.to open,this was going to get ugly....
3.09.at 800m a 1.39.split,at this point I was reminded of an old David Moorcroft quote"when things are going well I hum "Zorba The Greek"to myself,when they're going bad I hum"The Funeral March"
4.49.at the bell,a 1.40. split,trust me it's as painful to blog as it was to run
6.31.98.a 1.42. split.

So,where did it all go wrong?I could probably go back to laps 2&3 on the opening mile much less the second mile where I allowed myself to drop off the 1.20 pace,that 73 second closing lap on mile #2 was probably my undoing.
I stuck it out today even when things had clearly gone pear shaped,it's not in my nature to quit on a workout even when it's going horribly wrong,hopefully next Friday when I return for 4x1 mile repeats I'll be able to get it right and chalk today up as"a bad day at the office"

No comments: