Monday, August 10, 2009

Dog Days Be Damned

"And if a double decker bus crashes into us,to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die.
And if a ten ton truck kills the both of us,to die by your side well the pleasure,the privilege is mine"
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out The Smiths

By rights today should've been my shake out run after returning home from the world championships in Finland yesterday however the achilles tendon injury I picked up in late April/early June took care of that for me.
There was talk of it being 96 degrees this afternoon and I was tempted to run an easy three miler but upon arrival at Franklin Field at 4.15pm I honestly felt I could "give it some welly" over a one off mile so it was back to the plan of mile warm up,mile,mile cool down.
After a easy mile warm up it was time to have at it in the mile,in all honesty I thought if I could hold 1.18 pace through 1,200m for a 3.54 and a 69 second last lap I was looking at a 5.03 mile which in this heat would be highly commendable.

1.14. for the opener not too shabby if I say so myself,my best opening lap to date and in this heat.
2.31. at 800m,my fastest 800m split to date, a 1.17. lap.
3.51. at the bell, a 1.20.split,I still need to work on my third lap but I'm getting there.
4.59.10. w/ a 68 second last lap,a sub 5 minute mile at my seventh attempt since returning to training three weeks ago.

To get my first sub 5 out of the way means that's one less issue to worry about,the trick now is to do it again,hopefully Wednesday,anything less in cooler conditions will be a let down.
As for The Smiths lyric,two fold,the fire that burns in me, that drives me forward no matter what is a light that never goes out and also it 's one of two Smiths songs in the movie ''500 Days Of Summer" which I urge you to see,it's my leading candidate for movie of the year,don't let my gruff exterior and oft blunt abrasive nature fool you,I'm a shameless romantic at heart and that's why this movie rates so highly w/ me,go see it you won't be disappointed.

2 comments:

Rob said...

Kevin,

Congratulations on getting over your injury and starting to regain your fitness. I mentioned a few months ago that there would be another day and it sounds like it is coming soon. Kamloops is not to far away.

On a separate topic, I know you were not at Oshkosh, but I wrote a review of that meet that I sent to USATF and Ken Stone fetured it in his blog today. Thought you might be interested.

Rob

kevin f forde said...

Rob,
thanks for the kind words of encouragement,and yeah it's not lost on me that Kamloops is 7 months away.
I will check your review of Oshkosh in Ken Stone's blog,I'm glad to say I'm back to being able to read that again after shunning it for several weeks when the injury first struck.
Onwards