Friday, August 14, 2009

Twenty One Years And Counting

"It's been a while since I could say that I wasn't addicted"
It's Been A While Staind

August 14th is a landmark day for me,on Sunday August 13th 1988 I took my last drink in a rat infested derelict house,I had truly hit rock bottom,today I celebrated 21 years of being sober and while my life is anything but ideal at least I have a life,there's little or no doubt I'd have drunk myself into an early grave had I have continued going in the direction I was going and for that I thank my lord and saviour.

I took advantage of another Friday off of work to sleep in a little this morning,in the past two weeks I've been at Franklin Field by 11am,today I didn't get out of bed till 11.30am so it was 1pm b4 I set foot on the track,and by the time I was all done gone 2pm I could feel the heat increasing,note to self set the alarm for next Friday....
Stretched,b4 conducting my mile warm up,knowing I was adding a third mile to my repeats today I was keen to make sure my mile warm up was slow and easy.

Mile #1 I had hoped to open in 1.18 and hold that pace for four laps for a 5.12 mile,a nice thought but much like ever going out on a date w/ Gina Carano.....wishful thinking!!
1.24.for the opening lap a good 6 seconds off pace.
2.48.at 800m,since I'd gotten it wrong on lap 1 of mile 1 there seemed little or no point tearing it up now.
4.12.at the bell,remarkably a third 1.24. lap,slow but at least consistent.
5.29.06. for the mile w/ a 1.17.closing lap.

Mile#2
1.16.for the opening lap,an improvement on the 1.24's but again not the 1.18's I craved.
2.39.at 800m,1.23.I 'd backed off too much,clearly it's gonna take a while to get back into the rhythm of even pacing.
4.01.at the bell,a1.22.split,hopefully come summers end I'll look back at theses splits and laugh.
5.22.15.a 1.21.split and 7 second improvement on the opening mile.

Mile#3
1.15.for the opener I wasn't worrying about 1.18's now I just wanted to finish off the mile repeats strong.
2.39.at 800m a 1.24. split.....ger!!
3.56.at the bell,a 1.17. lap,how big a finish could I muster?what was left in the tank?
5.05.54. thanks to a 69 second last lap and while I was delighted to go from 5.22.15. to 5.05.54. I was left to rue that 1.24.on the second lap,I might've gotten another sub 5 had it not been for that split.

All in all I have to be satisfied w/ my overall performance,sure the pacing was all over the place like chicken shit on a farm{leave it to a paddy to make that analogy!!!} but in only my 9th workout since returning to training I'd handled a 3x1 mile repeat w/ little or no trouble.
As far as next week goes,I'd like to go for 4x1 mile on Friday but I'm going to think about what Monday and Wednesday should be over the weekend,I've got a good idea but you'll have to check back to see what I decide.

No comments: