Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Feisty

"I'm bustin out and I'm going in,I'm kickin up about the state I'm in
Looking to my future,not my past I want to be a good boy but how long can it last
I'm fighting my way back"
Fighting My Way Back
Thin Lizzy

Ancient Irish history lesson 1,I was named after my father and grandfather when I was christened,it wasn't till my teens that my grandfathers name came more into play to avoid confusion between my father and me,on a good day when people ask what the f stands for I tell people Francis,on a bad day I tell them the f stands for feisty,today I was feisty................
Any day that begins w/ Korn on my ipod pretty much dictates the mood I'm in and when I got off the el at 34th st to walk over to Franklin Field I could feel that swagger returning,that "@#$! you I'm gonna nail this workout" feeling,it's been a while since I've felt that.

Conditions were close to ideal,the cloud cover took away some of the heat that had been a factor the last two Mondays and there was a mild breeze,things were bubbling up nicely and when I felt myself instinctively get up on my toes on my warm up mile I just knew things were returning to the way they were pre injury.
Pre run I was gunning for a 5.14 mile,I figured splits of 1.20,1.20,1.20,1.14 would do it................
1.16. for the opening lap,last Wed when I opened briskly in 1.17 I couldn't hold onto that pace but a week later and w/out a driving rain I clocked a 1.19. to go through 800m in 2.35.little by little my 800m time is coming down:2.55,2.45,2.42,2.43.
Another 1.19. split to put me at 3.54.at the bell,my first sub 4 1,200m since my return from injury,the 64 billion dollar question,had I gassed myself or was there gas left in the tank?
1.12. for the final lap,I need to go sub 70 b4 I can dare to consider sub 60 but based on todays evidence those days are coming.
5.06.55. it's hard not to feel chipper about that,only my fifth mile back and I've gone from 5.49.06 to 5.06.55.hopefully next week my first sub 5 minute mile will come.

After my first week back the plan was to up my mile repeats to two at the end of the second week so the plan for Friday is mile warm up,mile,5 min recovery,mile,mile cool down,one mile at a time I'm working my way back.

Ancient Irish history lesson 2,just b4 lunchtime today I was asked if I could find a space on the dock for some food the nurses had collected for Philabundence,I was more than happy to lend my support to a noble cause period but when you consider the number of Irishmen and women who perished due to the famine then is it any wonder I was quick to help?

No comments: