Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Wigan Out

In whatever walk of life it presents its self Victory should always be cherished because who knows how long it will last? and if it will ever come your way again??
When I won my first National Championship title in Orono Maine in 07 at 800m I made sure I took it all in just in case I never got to celebrate another National title{thankfully a year later in Spokane I won the 1,500m and then three years later in Berea I won the 10,000m and hopefully I'm not done yet!!}

Spare a thought for Wigan Athletic,on Saturday they not only won the English FA Cup {English soccer's Superbowl if you like}but did so in a true "David Vs Goliath" manner upsetting Manchester City 1.0,you'd have to go back to the 1988 cup final when Wimbledon upset the then mighty Liverpool also 1.0 for a result like that.....but then last nite their eight year run in the Premiership came to an end w/ a 4.1 defeat to arsenal.
In fairness to Wigan they have punched above their weight for the past eight seasons  pulling a "Houdini act" to stay up the last several seasons but like Wimbledon and Coventry b4 them you can only cheat relegation so many times b4 it catches up w/ you{take note Aston Villa!!!!} and they now own the sad distinction of being the only club to win the FA Cup and get relegated in the same season.

While all this drama unfolded I was getting my "out and back" 8 miler under my belt,arsenal's victory has now set up a unique"winner takes all" North London/North East England scenario on Sundays final game of the season,an arsenal win and it's they who get the final Champions League spot,but should they get held to a draw or lose at Newcastle and Spurs beat Sundeland Spurs will leapfrog arsenal into fourth......not sure if I'll be running or watching the drama unfold come Sunday lunchtime......

No comments: