Saturday, November 21, 2009

Close Only Counts In Horseshoes

"Today,just like yesterday I'm ascending and descending, Traveling not arriving that's the story of my life
I've been close closer than close not close enough."
Close{The Journey Is The Destination}-The Alarm.

It's been a while since I've traveled out to Lower Merion on a Saturday for mile repeats,I did put in a cameo........resisting the urge to say "Word Up" and clearly failing! back on September 19th for a 5k time trial but given my impromptu 12 miler on Sunday I was looking at a Tue/Thur/Sat rotation this week and that means no Franklin Field on the weekends so Lower Merion it was and will be again next Saturday and maybe even Thursday since FF will be closed but we'll deal w/ that next week.

My Friday repeats had me prepped for a lunchtime workout,conditions were sunny and reasonably warm,there was a mildish breeze around the bottom turn but as a veteran of Franklin Field I'm used to the wind,no time like the present to go after my first sub 5 minute repeat mile at 4x1 mile.
#1 mile,1.14,1.19,1.19,1.19-5.01.80.This is the opening mile I anticipate a few weeks down the road,w/ hindsight I should've gone sub 5 on this repeat instead of backing off on the final lap,sub 5 was right there and I let it slip through my fingers.
#2 mile,1.19,1.23,1.20,1.18-5.21.21.It was no surprise to see a 20 second spike after my brisker than brisk opener but a few weeks ago I would've killed for 3 laps at 1.20 and under.
#3 mile,1.20,1.24,1.27,1.23-5.34.03.Don't do the crime if you can't do the time,clearly I'd made a balls of my pace right off the bat and now I was paying for it....w/out a sub 5 I hasten to add.
#4 mile,1.16,1.20,1.21,71-5.08.51.Emm some respectability I guess but obviously after opening in 5.01 it all went down hill quicker than Sharon Vorn on her skies.

Yes I'm pleased to lower my repeat mile to 5.01.80. but not at the cost of splits of 5.21/5.34.
I did feel going into today there was a very good chance of nailing that much sought after sub 5 and frankly going through the bell in 3.52 I should've taken care of business but I didn't.
That said chances are my indoor debut won't be for another 5 weeks so I have another 4 weeks of 6x600m/5x1,000m/4x1mile repeats and ample chances to get that first sub 5 minute repeat mile,let's see what next Saturday back here brings.

No comments: