Friday, November 13, 2009

Going Out Singing

If it's Friday I'm off work and at Franklin Field,however this Friday was a little different than usual,my last workout b4 turning 46,cometh the man,cometh the hour I wanted to end 45 on a high note.....at least where my running is concerned,the rest of my year imho is a write off,perhaps a conversation for another time and another place....

Conditions were what you'd expect for mid November,cold,grey damp,small wonder I get borderline depressed around the time of my b'day,that said I think in all honesty I'd be equally non plus about my b'day even if the weather was nicer,it's hard for me to get excited about my b'day when I know in my heart of hearts it'll be like every other day in my life,whatever I do,wherever I go it'll be by myself,so much for the theory that ones b'day is a special day cos frankly mine ends up being as hollow and empty as every other day I encounter.



The rain at least had stopped by lunchtime when I got to Franklin Field,however the track was suitably damp enough for me not to lay down and stretch but I did make a point of stretching,in these conditions and my advancing years you can't cheat that stuff,I'm not as spry as I was 10 years ago,w/ age at least comes wisdom...until I get much older and the memory starts to go...



Mile#1,1.14,1.20,1.22,1.19-5.15.67.A good start to things,the 74 second opener was a tad surprising but was exactly the kind of split I need to get things off to a flying start,the hope was I hadn't gone to the well too soon.

Mile#2,1.18,1.22,1.20,1.13-5.13.78.Uneven...yes,impressive...yes,I was guilty of not being focused on laps 2&3,who knows what my splits might've been had I kept my mind on the matter at hand?

Mile#3,1.20,1.21,1.22,1.17-5.20.10.So often the deal breaker in recent weeks today my splits didn't balloon and for a change of pace{no pun intended}mile #3 wasn't dramatically slower than the openers have been in recent weeks.

Mile#4,1.15,1.21,1.21,69-5.06.28.Wow!talk about a curtain call,if I'm not mistaken this was my fastest mile repeat mile since coming back from the injury.

A fine and fitting way to sign off on 45 not to mention underline my belief that a sub 5 min mile in my mile repeats is coming.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

“so much for the theory that ones b'day is a special day cos frankly mine ends up being as hollow and empty as every other day I encounter.”

Wait a second. Think back a few days:

--beginning my work day w/ an elevator ride w/ a certain someone is always something special, again a wise man once told me" all of life's rewards don't have to be grand" sometimes a 60 second elevator ride and a brief conversation about nothing in particular can be more rewarding than that person could ever realize.

--it's good to know my efforts can inspire athletes half my age.

--Nice! no question today was my best set of mile repeats post 5th Avenue Mile,

--a lot of good and great things have stemmed from my move here just from my running

“When the night is darkest, we can see the stars.”

I just spent the weekend with a friend from Australia. In the past three years he’s had cancer in his kidney, his bladder, and both lungs. Two heart attacks last summer. He laughs through a lot of it, drinks his whiskey, and writes -- living like every day might be his last. It really might be, but he’s kicking life’s ass.

Happy birthday, man. I’m looking forward to seeing you race in Boston in March. Every 1000 repeat counts, every mile repeat counts, and every one of them is worth celebrating because we only go around once in life (and four times per mile).

in NH

David said...

Happy Birthday Mate!
Revel in your athletic success.
Dont dwell on Spurs awful record against the Mighty Gooners - No win since 1999 and not at Arsenal's home since 1993!!

kevin f forde said...

You're right,sometimes I don't see the wood for the trees.
I'm not sure why the b'day brings out negatives for me it just does.
Thanks for pointing out the highs I've mentioned recently in my blog and for helping me put things in prespective.
I'll try to take a leaf from your friends book and be thankful for what I've got.

kevin f forde said...

Dave,
thanks.... I think...ya cheeky fecker!!
Seriously thanks...and I hope we do you bastards at The Lane!