Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving Top Ten List 09

I wrote a Top Ten list last Thanksgiving mainly because my co worker Chris was recovering from neuro surgery and yours truly was doing the workload of two people which meant I didn't have the energy mental or physical to do repeats at the track so my runs were just base mileage around Clark Park which didn't require being timed,and made for very non discript blog entries,I put the Thanksgiving Top List out there more for shits and giggles only for the whole thing to blow up in my face two days later when my former coach took exception to not being mentioned by name..............and thus began the slippery slope that saw us part company this summer....
Anywho at the risk of offending others this year here's my 09 Things To Be Thankful For This Thanksgiving,take it away

10,My health,corny as that sounds it's something we take for granted sometimes and although I'm at the blue collar end of the hospital from time to time I get to see those less fortunate than me and it helps to remind me that if you've got your health you're doing well.
9,The Physical Rehab staff at Jefferson,if it weren't for Alison and Peggy and everyone else who worked w/ me during the summer I know I wouldn't be back doing repeats three times a week.
8,My dvr,trite as it might seem my dvr is huge,no more agonizing over which show to watch,which show to hope I'll catch in a rerun,no more missed shows if I'm out for the evening and no more staying up till 12am on Sundays for my weekly fix of "Eastenders".
7,A job and a roof over my head,while I bitch about my job frequently in my blog and grumble about my living situation in my diary in the credit crunch we're experiencing I'm lucky things aren't worse.
6,My diary,I'm a month away from 16 years of keeping a daily diary,while my blog is great for running and sometimes non running issues my diary is where the real dirt lies!!!
In recent weeks I've written in more depth about the things I feel strongly about,an outlet for my anger,rage and angst of which somedays there's more than plenty to record!
5, Having Chris 100% healthy again,this time last year my coworker had emergency neuro surgery to remove a tumor in his brain,it was an emotional time for all, Chris and his family and me also,after 6 years of being in the firing line all by my lonesome I've finally had someone along side me in the trenches for 2 and 1/2 years.
4,Hobbes,next month I'll have had the"orange shitbag" for 15 years,as my mother loves to point out"there aren't many humans who've put up w/ you for that long"...this is true so I try to cherish my time w/ "furbag"he'll be sorely missed when he's gone.
3,My blog,I love my blog,it's as close as I'll get to being a writer and I enjoy penning my entries,I'd also thank "Uncle Ken Stone" who's been kind enough to feature me and "Runningfree"in his blog Masterstrack several times this year again.
2,Spending time in New York City w/ my mother Eileen in September,along the lines of Hobbes I realize that anytime spent w/ my mother is fleeting,I hope I'll see her again but at her age and the fact I don't get home as much any more means every time I see her I fear it may be the last time so I try to make the most of it.
Last weekend I asked Eileen what she thought of New York since this was her first visit,she said she loved it,that's all I needed to hear.
1,Being injury free,after a summer lost to an achilles tendon injury and a shot at being a World Champion snatched away from me I'm thankful to be able to get out and train each day I get out there,long may this and all of the above continue.

No comments: