Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Let The Dog See The Rabbit

It's been a while since I've had a day at work where my vocal displeasure was there to be heard for all around,the fact I slammed my hand onto my desk top mid afternoon after a mad half hour told me the loonies had won.
On days like these not only do I thank the fact Jim Henson is no longer w/ us otherwise his next movie would be "The Muppets Take Einstein" but I also subscribe to the theory that"if aholes were aeroplanes my job would be at an airport w/ yours truly at the head of Air Traffic Control....
It's days like these I need the sanctuary of the track....and so to Franklin Field for 6x600m repeats.

''The Death Zone" despite its foreboding title has been a happy hunting ground for me for over two and a half years and counting,sadly for me I'd gotten away from it earlier in the year when my former coach had me doing different repeats prior to Worlds,as we all know my achilles injury kyboshed Worlds and my coach and I parted company,not so much a case of singing from different hymn sheets or right church,wrong pew these days we're in separate houses of worship,he's more Church Of England while I'm Roman Catholic.
Conditions were as close to ideal as one could wish for in late November,mild,no wind,no rain,however by the end of the workout and my mile cool down the tips of my fingers were feeling a tad numb,a reminder that old man winter is standing in the wings awaiting his cue.

#1 600,69,36-1.45.58.I was aiming for 70-72 400s so an opening 400m in 69 seconds was a bit of a surprise,last week I had a pair of 70s on #2 and #4 but no 69s.
#2 600,69,34-1.43.22.Wow back to back 69s,I just wondered if I hadn't gotten too cocky too soon,cast your mind back to 3 weeks ago when I was cranking out brisk closing 200s only to blow up on #6.
#3 600,72,35-1.47.99.Not totally unexpected but still comfortable and still w/in range of a 6/6.
#4 600,74,33-1.47.98.How's that for almost identical splits?I was guilty of not being 100% focused over the opening 300m ergo the 74 second split,fatigue had not yet set in,could it stay that way?
#5 600,71,36-1.47.12.Holy Mary,mother of God!I did not expect 71 seconds on the stop watch at 400m and I made sure to ease down over the closing 200m to make sure all the bullets were in all the chambers for the finale.
#6 600,74,35-1.49.09.I knew anything under 74 at 400m would put me in w/ a better than average shot at a 6th sub 1.50 and while I mightn't have been as strong off the final turn or up the home straight I still notched my third 6/6 sub 1.50 in five attempts.

W/ an open 400m race on the horizon followed most likely by an 800m race in preparation for the clubs year end assault on the American Record for Masters Cub 4x800m I'd say I'm rounding into form at the right time.

No comments: