Thursday, November 26, 2009

Stuff This!

Thanksgiving,that most American of holidays....and thereby in it's very definition alien to me.
Granted I'm the poster child of all things anti holiday{I don't even celebrate my own b'day for the love of God!}but I just can't get my head around this holiday,maybe because I didn't grow up w/ it{I didn't grow up w/ July 4th either!}or maybe because at the root of the matter is the fact it's a family holiday which counts me out from the get go,my family are 3,500 miles away for starters...and they don't celebrate Thanksgiving to begin w/.
Having said all that and standing by what I said I do wish the masses a Happy Thanksgiving and mean it,just because I don't have family to celebrate it w/ doesn't mean I should piss all over a holiday for those that do,I must be mellowing in my old age,not only have I stopped referring to it as Wanksgiving I've also toned down my"the day we celebrate the fact we stole this land from the Native Americans"sentiment....even though I feel very strongly about the fact we did,but anyway on to my running......dare me to say it?....let's talk Turkey!

Knowing that not only would Franklin Field close early last nite and the fact I don't have tomorrow off I switched my rotation to Tue/Thur/Sat,the only thing I needed to make sure of was there'd be no high school football at Lower Merion today....there wasn't so off out to Ardmore on the train at lunchtime to have at it at 5x1,000m repeats,and I shall return Saturday for my 4x1mile repeats.
Conditions were grey but mild,it's a bit of a "brucey bonus" getting a repeat workout in during the daytime,granted it's a like for like swop w/ today instead of tomorrow.
Stretches done,mile warm up taken care of,one last trip to the bathroom secured it was showtime.....and how!

#1 1,000,1.15,1.19,33-3.07.38.Christ!talk about out of the traps quickly,my only concern,much like Tuesday was I hadn't done too much too soon,last week I was perhaps guilty of going out slow{3.16} b4 clocking a pair of 3.09s and a pair of 3.08s.
#2 1,000,1.17,1.18,35-3.10.51.Proof that I hadn't "shot my load" so to speak,at this stage of my recovery if I can go 1.17-1.18 each 1k I feel I'm right where I want to be.
#3 1,000,1.18,1.17,34-3.09.26.Wow!as each week and each repeat be it 600s,1,000s, mile goes by I feel the three Ss Speed,Strenght,Stamina are getting to the level I want them to be at.
#4 1,000,1.18,1.18,32-3.08.53.Dare I think it? my first ever 5/5 1,000m at sub 3.10?it was there for the taking,mentally I felt I could,physically?............
#5 1,000,1.17,1.18,30-3.05.81.BOOYAH!!!!!!A triple trifecta,all 5 1ks at 3.10 or under,my fastest combined 5k 15.39 AND my fastest 1k 3.05.81 thanks to a 30 second final 200m,not bad at the end of 4,800m worth of repeats if I say so myself.

Wow!when I first began 5x1,000m repeats back on Aug 26th three months ago I hoped I'd get to all 5 at 3.10 or under and now today at the 11th attempt I did surely nobody could begrudge me a moment of self satisfaction?
Granted the cynical will say #2 was 3.10.51. so if it means next time out I need to be under 3.10 to make it count fine but the fact is today I reached a landmark that for me ranks up there w/ 6x600m at 1.45 and under and 4x1 mile at sub 5 minutes per mile.
I will enjoy my Vegetable Lasagna this evening,obviously not what the Pilgrims ate when they landed......but what if they were vegetarians I wonder??

No comments: