Saturday, November 28, 2009

Getting The {Evil} Monkey Off My Back

Since my return to mile repeats on October 9th I've had my heart set on a sub 5 minute mile,in recent weeks that desire has gotten closer,I should have had it last week when on the opening mile I went through the bell in 3.52 but eased up too much and clocked 5.01.80,I vowed if that scenario presented it's self today I would NOT make that tactical blunder again.

When I arrived at Lower Merion High School track at lunchtime the first thing I thought about was the wind,despite the full and glorious sunshine there was a chill wind blowing around the track,so much so that after my stretches and mile warm I opted for my long sleeve running shirt and running tights.
#1 mile,1.16,1.18,1.18,67-4.59.08.YEAH BOYEEE! When I clocked 3.52. at the bell again I knew I couldn't allow another sub 5 to slip away,my reaction upon checking my watch after crossing the line spoke volumes of what this meant to me.
#2 mile,1.22,1.27,1.24,1.30-5.43.34.Yowzer!I'm not naive enough to think I'm ready to drop a 4.59. mile and come back strong on the next one but this hurt,I felt every one of those 5 sub 3.10 1,000s from Thursday coming up the home straight at the end of this mile.
#3 mile,1.18,1.24,1.22,1.19-5.23.16.Not that it's a huge badge of honour but this was an improvement on the previous effort....not that that would be difficult.
#4 mile,1.16,1.20,1.21,67-5.04.76.How about that for symmetry ending mile 1 and mile 4 w/ 67 second splits.
When I opened in 1.16 I pondered the potential of 2 sub 5 min miles,I knew I'd have to come through 800 in 2.34/2.35, that 1-2 seconds was going to make all the difference.
When I clocked 3.57 at the bell I knew sub 5 was gone but I'm chuffed to bits I threw down another 67 second closing lap not to mention a 5.04. mile.

The irony of ironies,now that I've gotten a sub 5 under my belt it looks like I won't be running any mile repeats for the next two weeks as I'm looking to race the next two weekends so that'll mean sacrificing the mile repeats,however whenever I do return to them{probably Dec 18th}I aim to refine my mile repeats,try to make the sub 5 my last mile now that I've gotten the monkey off back.

No comments: