Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Home Of The Brave


So side two of my latest mix tape,"Land Of The Free,Home Of The Brave"
Bruce Springsteen-Born In The USA,Unconscionable to have a mix tape of all things American w/out The Boss,not his best song,not my favourite Springsteen song but it was the ideal song for this mix and a good way to kick off side two of the tape.
Berlin-Blowing Sky High,Long b4 "Take My Breath Away" made them popular I was a fan thanks to my ex wife turning me on to them,"Blowing Sky High" was one of two new songs on their Best Of cd and one of the last songs they wrote b4 calling it a day b4 Terri Nunn revived the band.
Kings Of Leon-Be Somebody,Funny story about Kings Of Leon I saw them open for U2 in 05 and was totally unimpressed by them,fast forward three years and the release of"Only By The Night" and Kings took the world by storm.
White Stripes-Ball And Biscuit,I remember hearing Jack White talk about Led Zep and how much he loved them,after hearing "Ball And Biscuit" I could tell he wasn't just paying lip service,no wonder he teamed up w/ Jimmy Page and The Edge in "It Might Get Loud".
Ben Folds-Landed,I arrived late to the Ben Folds party but better late than never,his recent collaboration w/ Nick Hornby only served to bump up my estimation of him.
Bob Dylan-Union Sundown,The problem w/ selecting a Dylan song was which one there are tons to chose from,"Infidels" is possibly my favourite Dylan cd and "Union Sundown" is my favourite track off of that,any one of the eight tracks could've made it on here.
Pat Benatar-All Fired Up,I fell in love w/ Pat Benatar's voice first,the advent of MTV and being able to see her just made her that much more of a heroine to me and while the UK was slow on the uptake of how awesome she was she remains my favourite female vocalist of all time.
Johnny Cash-Hurt,The original bad boy of rock and roll,his cover of Nine Inch Nails already awesome song"Hurt" made the song his own................
Dave Matthews Band-All Along The Watchtower,How do you take a classic tune and make it all your own?Ask Dave Matthews,I never thought I think of myself as a jam band fan,then again we didn't have a band like DMB in England!!
Linkin Park-What I've Done,Like it took a while to fall in love w/ Kings Of Leon I hated Linkin Park right off the bat but"One Step Closer" proved to be a mere blip on their resume,"What I've Done" is my most played song on my ipod.
Guns N Roses-Sympathy For The Devil,Another cover and another song from a soundtrack.....and YES I've done cover and movie mix tapes,it was worth buying either the "Interview W/ The Vampire" soundtrack or GNR's Greatest Hits just for this gem.
The Bangles-Hazy Shade Of Winter,A toss up between The Bangles or The Go Go's,my love/lust of Suzanna Hoffs tilted things in The Bangles favour,another cover/movie soundtrack number.
For another 26 songs tune in next year,next up a mix tape of Scottish bands to celebrate St Andrew's day on November 30th.

No comments: