Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Land Of The Free


So,what have I been doing w/ myself during my two week hiatus from training?
Well aside from resting and relaxing I've caught up w/ clearing some of my considerable backlog of dvr'd shows and finished my most recent mix tape.
On October 29th I will have lived here in Philly for 23 years so to commemorate said land mark/black day in American history{delete where applicable!!} I made a mix tape of American bands,I would've liked to put Don McClean's "American Pie" on there....but I don't own a copy of that,ditto for Grand Funk Railroads classic"We're An American Band",there's always next year,ditto for the considerable artists who didn't make it on to this years tape,the beauty of an anniversary tape is there's always next year,the year after,etc to add them.
So w/out further ado here's the 2010 version,enjoy!
Jimi Hendrix-Star Spangled Banner Live, Such an obvious choice to kick things off after "American Pie" and "We're An American Band" weren't available.
Fleetwood Mac-The Chain, Growing up as a kid back home and watching Formula One racing I always loved the theme tune to the highlights,years later I learnt that was "The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac....nuff said!
The Offspring-Gone Away,some would have you believe Punk never made it this side of the Atlantic,like several other Orange County bands Offspring proved that was bollocks!!!
Eminem-Mosh, An anti George Bush song that proved Eminem could be political as well as controversial.
Madonna-Borderline, There'd be no Lady Gaga w/out Madonna,Burning Up and Lucky Star were strong contenders for my Madonna track and underlining my love of early Maddy.
Metallica-I Disappear, Uncle Sam's version of Iron Maiden in my humble opinion.
Blondie-Atomic, The timeline of American female sex symbols probably reads Marilyn Monroe,Debbie Harry and Madonna....and no I don't have Marilyn's version of"Happy B'day Mr President"for this tape!
Hootie & The Blowfish-I Will Wait, It's easy to slag Hootie off but I recall a Labor Day weekend in Virginia Beach when they played and it was a killer weekend.
B 52's- Party Out Of Bounds, I can still remember 79-80 and discovering cool new bands,B52's were one of them once you got beyond the big hair this was a band you could dance to.....if you wanted to!!!
Prince-My Name Is Prince, C'mon how could you not like the purple one,was tempted to go w/ "U Got The Look" but "My Name Is Prince" won out.
Aerosmith Falling In Love{Is Hard On Your Knees}, US rock royalty for almost 40 years and they're from Boston...need I say more?
Sheryl Crow W/ Stevie Nicks-Goldust Woman, A bit of a stretch using two Fleetwood Mac songs but I always liked this version from Live at Central Park.
Steve Earle-The Other Kind, I discovered Steve Earle late in the day thanks to a former house mate while he and I are no longer friends I still listen to Steve Earle....Steve Earle didn't tell me I had to move out!!
Beastie Boys-Fight For Your Right To Party, The pioneers of rock rap and the reason several car hood ornaments got jacked back in the day to be worn as bling.!!

No comments: