Monday, May 12, 2014

Bet He Drinks Carling Black Label aka Notes From The DL


It feels as alien not to blog as it does not to run and God willing and fingers crossed I'll be back to doing both this coming week.
Since last Mondays DNF on a routine easy 8 miler I've had to sit out all my scheduled training runs as I hope a weeks rest and a twice sometimes three times a day ice pack on ye olde groin heals me,I may have to also add some Physical Therapy suggested stretches into the "rehab" to speed up the process.
Being injured SUCKS being a runner and not being able to run is like being told don't breath......it just goes against the grain of my day to day exsistence but I'm astute enough to know that to continue to run on a dodgy groin is only going to make things worse so it's the DL for a week-10 days{hopefully!!!} b4 returning to full blown training.

While the timing sucks w/ my first outdoor race scheduled for this Thursday it could be worse,as of Thursday I'm 9 weeks away from Nationals and while I'd rather  NOT  be injured period I'd rather it was 9 weeks out than 9 days out,providing the injury heals I should be able to make my 2014 outdoor track debut now on July 29th over 1,500m w/ an 800m the following Thursday......fingers crossed.
I did test the injury slightly on Wednesday nite,the Black Label Society concert at The Electric Factory ended around 12.10am and I knew the #34 trolley back home to West Philly left 13th St at 12.23am so I jogged from 7th and Callowhill to 10th and Arch,down 10th St,cut thro the Greyhound bus terminal to the Septa concourse  at 11th St and along the concourse to 13th.
I felt "ok" there was some niggling pain but it could've been a lot more painful at 10th and Vine St not Arch St as I previously stated when I ran headlong into a Possum........

Oh the irony! if you've been a regular on Kevinrunningfree you'll know 2010 was "PossumGate" after myself and Joel Dubow had a war of words via Masterstrack Blog where he said I looked like a Possum and that should be my nickname......{very mature I thought.......NOT!!!!!!} anywho it kind of backfired on him as i not only embraced the nickname but bought an Awesome Possum t shirt online that I wore at Outdoor Nationals just so the words would stick in his throat ......
I had no intention of tackling the Possum at 10th and Vine as it stared me dowm on the sidewalk,I ducked around the parked car and crossed Vine St to head down 10th St.....it wouldn't risk following into Chinatown I was pretty sure!!!!!

Saturday I did make my way to Geasey Field to see if repeats were possible and while my mile warm up felt ok as soon as I tried to push off on my left leg the stabbing pain in my groin confirmed there would be no repeats.
I'll sit out Monday to give myself a week off and see if "easy miles" are doable Tuesday and hope the ice and stretches are working,having missed one week and already scratched one race I'm eager to get back into the flow of things.

No comments: