Monday, May 5, 2014

In This River


If It's Sunday it's a 12 miler out and back along the Schuylkill River........providing it hasn't flooded it's banks!!!!!!!
After Wendesdays rain of Biblical preportion and subsequently Thursdays rescheduled easy 8 miler I knew there'd been flooding along both the Schuylkill Banks and Kelly Dr so I had to prepare myself for potentially more "cross country" conditions yesterday lunchtime.

Conditions were grey and overcast as I set off at 10.40am w/ the hint of rain that thankfully never ammounted to more than spots of rain during the run.
W/ 40,000 runners at the Broad St Run I knew I could expect a slightly less congested course this Sunday but evidently I wasn't the only local runner who'd nixed the Broad St Run as I came across a few dozen other "non participants on my travels upto my 6 miler turnaround point along Kelly Dr and back again.
Kudos to either the City workers or Fairmount Park Dept  for clearing the excess mud off of the Schuykill Bank and Kelly Dr that I went through on Thursday today was smooth sailing underfoot.
On the subject of sailing,no regetta on the Schuylkill today,I was lead to believe there were regettas for the next three Sundays and while the water level on  the Schuylkill appeared to be back to normal there was no regatta.....although if the tree trunk that had gotten lodged on the foot of the Amatrak bridge was any indication god only knows what else still lurked w/in the river!!!!!!

Clocked another 1.48 time,that's three in  a row now,considering I don't run w/ a watch I'm impressed at the level of consistancy I seem to log these "long runs".
Another 5 day/40 mpw in the books,one more on tap b4 the racing segment of my season kicks off in earnest the week after next.

No comments: