Thursday, May 22, 2014

Maintaining The Status Quo

If it's Wednesday chances are it's a 8 mile recovery run, and while the popular beliefe is that "familiurity breeds comtempt" for me there's always been a certain security of a set schedule......providing you don't go to the well too often.
Since my final Indoor race of the season at The Armory on March 21 I've had 9 weeks of more or less the same schedule,eas run Monday,repeats Tuesday,recovery run Wednesday,repeats Saturday and long run on Sunday and while my recent groin injury meant having to postpone my racing phase of the season by a week I always wanted to have a block of set training uninterupted by races to hopefully set myself up for the next phase which should kick off next week and carry me to Wake Forest and Outdoor Nationals.

Conditions were grey and overcast w/ a hint of showers when I set off around 4.30pm,my only consession to that was to swop my bandanna for a baseball cap in case it rained,frankly other than a few random spots of rain I was unscathed by the rain..... a "feather in my cap" so to speak since the weather peeps were calling for showers on Wednedsay w/ heavier rain on Thursday,frankly I ran in far worse conditions than overcast and 67 degrees earlier this year and having taken care of business by Wednesday not only can I enjoy two rest days b4 Saturdays 8x300x200x300m repeats but also have the last laugh if it pisses out of the heavens this afternoon.

8 weeks till Nationals,1 more week till my Outdoor season kicks off,let's hope weeks of the "same ole same ole" have prepped me for the final phase of my assault on a pair of podium finishes in Wake Forest,granted there's life after Nationals the possibility of "throwing my bandannain the ring" for the Greater Philadelphia Track Club" Track Pentathlon in August,the "Fall Classic" 5th Avenue Mile in September b4 turning my thoughts to the Fall Cross Country season and settling some unfinished business over 10k at Club Nationals in December but all in good time, one eye on the prize,one eye on the future that's how I'm rolling.....

No comments: