Monday, May 19, 2014

Is It A Stretch To Say I'm Back?

After three easy runs Tue,Wed and Thursday w/out any issue w/ my groin I went into Saturday mornings scheduled 4x1 mile repeats hoping for the best,last week I failed miserably to manage 600m repeats last Saturday but following a weeks worth of stretches the groin had responded well,the acid test would be repeats all the easy running in the world wasn't going to mean jack shit if I couldn't push off on my repeats,to say I was aprehensive on my way over to Geasey Field would be putting it mildly in fact I was so distracted that I forgot to bless myself w/ holy water from my font b4 leaving home......if ever there was a morning for "Devine Inspiration" it was this morning!!!!!!

I arrived at Temple's track by 10.35am there were a number of people on the track which can sometimes serve as an issue,I'm all for people walking around the track if that's there way of getting exercise but when there are four signs posted around the track,one on the top turn ,one on the home straight and two along the back straight that ask walkers to use the outside lanes and yet they still insist on walking in lane 1 and 2 it can be a bit of a ball buster my feeling is if I swing wide of you on my warm up laps I send a message that I'm willing to do that during my repeats{not that expect your average walker/jogger to know the difference between warm up,repeat and cool down you understand!!!} and frankly to quote an old English expression"that's just not cricket" so even if means taking a New York City taxi approach to things and darting into spaces that don't exsist then so be it #gottadowhatigottado

Following my mile warm up I laced up my running flat,took a deep breath and offered up one final prayer to the Running Gods and hoped I could get my mile repeats in............

#1 Mile
1.15-1.22-1.21-1.21=5.19.0
Oh snap! such was my relife pushing off the starting line pain free that I may've gotten a tad carried away w/ myself{do you think????} the question was how would I respond to the next three repeats??

#2 Mile
1.19-1.25-1.24-1.22=5.30.2
Not too sharp a drop off and even though I was guilty of not running through the finish line at 5.30.2 I was faster than my previous best mile split of 5.34.8. from April 29th 18 days ago

#3 Mile
1.20-1.24-1.24-1.21=5.29.7
I was beginning to feel the effects of that opening mile but even w/out looking at my April 29th times I knew I was a country mile ahead of them in terms of times

#4 Mile
1.20-1.26-1.28-1.17=5.31.8
Having worked this hard I wasn't about to let it all go to shite on the finale and even though laps #2 and #3 got away from me I finished strong.

A whopping 47 second difference from April 29th's 5.37.6-5.34.8-5.40.4-5.45.5 which had been my best set of mile repeats todate,granted conditions were utterly different today from the cold wind and rain not to mention doing these first thing in the mid morning as oppossed to in the afternoon after work but that said today was a quantum leap in terms of times and splits and I relish my next set of mile repeats although w/a schedule of 6 races in 7 weeks beginning on May 29th it may be a while b4 I next tackle 4x1 mile repeats,whenever it is I hope to build on this effort

No comments: